Year 5 - Defence Against the Dark Arts

The following morning Tracey finds me at the common room notice board pinning up a large new sign.

GALLONS OF GALLEONS!

Pocket money failing to keep pace with your outgoings?

Like to earn a little extra gold?

________________________________________________

Contact Fred and George Weasley, Gryffindor common room, or Nyx Granger, Slytherin

common room, for simple, part-time, virtually painless jobs

(WE REGRET THAT ALL WORK IS UNDERTAKEN AT APPLICANT'S OWN RISK)

"What's that all about?" she asks once she has read it.

"We're looking for volunteers on our new products we're making. The twins and I need to see if it works the same on other people as it does on us," I respond.

"I can't imagine it being painless then," she chuckles as we make our way out of the common room for breakfast.

"No, but they don't need to know that," I grin.

"Think we can trick Parkinson into being a volunteer?" Tracey asks with a smug smile on her face.

"I'd have to use the Imperius curse, but it does sound like fun," I laugh as we reach the top of the stairs and walk into the entrance hall.

"Nyx!" My sisters voice echoes through the hall, where I spot them just a little way off from the foot of the marble staircase leading upwards.

"I'll save us a seat so long," says Tracey before heading off into the Great Hall.

As I near them I overhear Ron say, "why do you have to get her opinion?"

"My opinion on what?" I ask intrigued.

Speaking over my sister Ron retorts, "Harry said it last night, if it means we're supposed to get matey with the Slytherin's, fat chance."

My sister elaborates further, "with You-Know-Who on the rise, do you think it's possible for us to unite Nyx?"

"For once I agree with Ron. The Slytherin's will never unite with Gryffindor. It's a pity though really, our houses compliment each other more than what most think."

"What's that supposed to mean? We'd never complimented you," Ron groans in disgust.

"Not in that way..." I shake my head. "Where a Gryffindor would just charge in blindly into a fight, which is seen as bravery, a Slytherin will be far more calculated with a strategy and will weigh up the options whether it is beneficial to fight or not, which is why many see us as cunning. And that in itself can help benefit both Houses if we stand together," I explain further to Ron.

"We do not just run blindly into a fight," Ron defends.

"Ron's right," Harry confirms.

"You need to seriously think properly about that. Anyways, our end goals are both the same, we just go about it differently. Whereas a Gryffindor would die for you, a Slytherin would kill for you, still the same end goal. But both Houses would do anything to achieve what they want even if it means breaking the rules, but we would never go against our morals," I explain on.

"I still don't see how we can be anything like you Slytherin's," groans Ron.

"That's one of the reasons why we'll never get a long," I say.