Year 4 - The Portkey

I open my eyes to a blurry Hermione shaking me awake.

"Time to get up," she whispers before moving over to Ginny.

"It can't be, I barely slept," I moan, tossing over and pulling the blanket over my head.

"C'mon Nyx, Mrs. Weasley was already here to wake us all up a while ago," she mumbles while fumbling with her clothes, still half asleep.

"She was?" I peer over the blanket. "But I never heard her come in."

"That's because you sleep like you're dead," she answers.

I begrudgingly hoist myself up and force myself out of the bed. With eyes still half closed I manage to get dressed, though taking a lot longer than I usually do.

We help each other to make the beds when Mrs. Weasley reappears.

"Oh, good you're all awake. Got worried that you might have fallen asleep again. Let's go downstairs, breakfast is almost ready," she says energetically.

I groan yet again, slightly envious of the amount of energy Mrs. Weasley has so early in the morning.

We all make our way down the staircase and into the kitchen. Hermione, Ginny, and I looking pale and drowsy.

Harry, George, Fred, and Mr. Weasley all already sitting at the table. The boys, except Mr. Weasley, looking just as fatigued.

"Why do we have to be up so early?" asks Ginny, rubbing her eyes as we sit down at the table.

"We've got a bit of a walk," says Mr. Weasley.

"Walk?" asks Harry. "What, are we walking to the World Cup?"

I place my forehead on the table, closing my eyes momentarily.

"No, no, that's miles away," answers Mr. Weasley, smiling. "We only need to walk a short way. It's just that it's very difficult for a large number of wizards to congregate without attracting Muggle attention. We have to be very careful about how we travel at the best of times, and on a huge occasion like the Quidditch World Cup –"

"George!" Mrs. Weasley calls sharply, causing us all to jump. I bolt right up, instantly wide awake now.

"What?" says George, in an innocent tone that deceives nobody.

"What is that in your pocket?"

"Nothing!"

"Don't you lie to me!"

Mrs. Weasley points her wand at George's pocket and says, "accio!"

Several small, brightly colored objects zoom out of George's pocket; he makes a grab for them but misses, and they speed into Mrs. Weasley's outstretched hand.

"We told you to destroy them!" says Mrs. Weasley furiously, holding up what are unmistakably more Ton-Tongue Toffee's. "We told you to get rid of the lot! Empty your pockets, go on, both of you!"

It is an unpleasant scene; the twins and I devised that I'll sneak the most out since she hopefully won't think to check me as well and they will create a diversion by also trying to smuggle out some, and it is only by using her Summoning Charm that Mrs. Weasley manages to find them all, even the ones I had.

"Accio! Accio! Accio!" she shouts, and the toffee's zoom from all sorts of unlikely places, including the lining of George's jacket, the turn-ups of Fred's jeans and my deepened carry bag.

"We spent six months developing those!" Fred shouts at his mother as she throws the toffee's away.

"Oh, a fine way to spend six months!" she shrieks. "No wonder you didn't get more O.W.L's!"