Year 4 - The Triwizard Tournament

Through the gates, flanked with statues of winged boars and up the sweeping drive the carriages trundle, swaying dangerously in what is fast becoming a gale. Looking out the window Hogwarts comes nearer, its many lighted windows blur and shimmer behind the thick curtain of rain.

Lightning flashes across the sky as our carriages come to a halt before the great oak front doors, which stand at the top of a flight of stone steps. People who have occupied the carriages in front are already hurrying up the stone steps into the castle.

Draco and I jump down from our carriage and dash up the steps as well, looking up only when we are safely inside the cavernous, torch-lit entrance hall, with its magnificent marble staircase. The peace doesn't last long as a rain of water balloons come showering down from above. People all around shriek and start pushing one another in their efforts to get out of the line of fire.

Floating twenty feet above us, Peeves the Poltergeist, a little man in a bell-covered hat and orange bowtie, his wide malicious face contorts with concentration as he takes aim again.

"PEEVES!" yells an angry voice. "Peeves, come down here at ONCE!"

Professor McGonagall, Deputy Headmistress and head of Gryffindor House, comes dashing out of the Great Hall; she skids on the wet floor and grabs Hermione around the neck to stop herself from falling.

"Peeves get down here NOW!" barks Professor McGonagall, straightening her pointed hat and glaring upward through her square-rimmed spectacles.

Draco and I duck into the Great Hall through the double doors on the right.

The Great Hall looks its usual splendid self, decorated for the start-of-term feast. Golden plates and goblets gleam by the light of hundreds and hundreds of candles, floating over the tables in mid-air. The four long House tables are packed with chattering students; at the top of the Hall, the staff sit along one side of a fifth table, facing their pupils. It is much warmer in here.

Draco and I walk to the Slytherin table and sit down with the rest of the Slytherin's. Tracey seated next to me and Draco opposite me with Crabbe and Goyle.

Tracey leans over to me. "Enjoy the cabin ride alone with lover boy?"

"It was nothing like that," I scowl at her.

"Don't be so modest!" She nudges me with her elbow.

"Just drop it! Please, Tracey," I reprimand her as quietly as I can, however a few students around us turn their heads to look.

I force a smile as I look at them.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you," she whispers beside me.

I gaze over to her again. "Don't worry about it, just have a lot on my mind. And no, I don't want to talk about it." As I know she will want to pull the story out of me.

"Hello... Granger," says a voice from beside me, emphasising their disgust in their voice as they say my name.

I peer up towards the ceiling, before closing my eyes momentarily as I sigh, just the person I didn't want to see. Opening my eyes again I turn to address the owner of the voice.

"Parkinson," I spit.

"Just so you know, this year I will get what's mine," she threatens me under her breath so only I can hear.

"Oh please, as if I would ever feel threatened by you," I mock.

Tracey leaning over my shoulder to join in. "Desperation is a good look for you Pansy. Unfortunately for you, no man finds that attractive."

"You two better watch yourselves this year," she responds.

Before I can respond the doors of the Great Hall open and silence falls. Professor McGonagall is leading a long line of first years up to the top of the Hall, where all the teachers are seated.