Year 2 - Summer Holidays

Our summer holidays barely begin when owls start coming and going from our house - Hermione has Ron and Harry she is writing to and I have the Weasley twins and Tracey.

Hermione and I also can't stop talking to our parents about our first school year and all the mischievous things we got up to. She obviously left out the part about Voldemort; not wanting to scare our parents. And I only speak to our parents about the Thestrals' paddock when Hermione isn't in the room; I don't know whether she would believe me or not about seeing something she isn't able to.

It's always been like that with my sister. She will always become so frustrated over something if I can do it better than her, such as wizards' chess for instance, I try teaching her during the holidays, but she just keeps losing. She became so frustrated one day that she simply stated that wizard's chess is nothing but cruel torture to the poor pieces and is enjoyed by those that enjoy watching them suffer.

Over the next couple weeks, I receive letters from the Weasley twins; the letters sprawled out in two different handwritings, as they each take turns to write in it. They write on the new pranks they are wanting to try out once we are back at school, how their mother is quite excited to meet me even though they left the part out of me being in Slytherin (they explained in a rather long passage about her mistrust against Slytherins), they continue on writing about numerous other things such as their garden gnomes and wanting to swim in the lake again once we get back.

The letters from Tracey are mainly about the new school year and wanting to involve the twins in pranking Pansy Parkinson; We discuss all sorts of methods of trying to get her kicked out.

One summery afternoon, Hermione and I sit in the backyard. Basking in the warm rays of the sun. She is busying herself with a response to Ron's letter that we received just the day before. I, on the other hand, am busy sketching another live drawing; another Thestral that flies about and lands after a few moments, however this time I draw two figures with their backs facing the viewer as they watch the Thestral.

"I think I'll address it to Harry as well for in case they managed to rescue him," says Hermione warmly.

I nod, responding distractedly, "yeah... twins did mention something..."

She chimes in as she writes her letter, "'Dear Ron and Harry if you're there, I hope everything went all right and that Harry is okay and that you didn't do anything illegal to get him out, Ron, because that would get Harry into trouble too. -'"

She looks up at me. "Maybe now we can find out why Harry never responded to any of mine or Ron's letters. It really had me worried."

I only nod as she continues with her letter, "'I've been really worried and if Harry is all right, will you please let me know at once, but perhaps it would be better if you used a different owl, because I think another delivery might finish your one off.'"

At this, Hermione and I both look over to the poor owl named, Errol. He wasn't sitting perched on our veranda, but instead lying face first on the ground barely breathing.

"'Nyx and I are very busy with schoolwork, of course -'"

I interject, "err no. You are busy with schoolwork. I'm finished with our homework for the new year."

She looks at me puzzled. "But then what have you been reading all those Transfiguration books for? That's still schoolwork, isn't it?"

I look at her, my one eyebrow raised. She does have a point. "Touché," I say before returning to my sketch once again.

"I'm asking them if they want to meet in Diagon Alley next week Wednesday when we go. Do you want me to sign your name at the bottom as well?"

"Do as you want. They're your friends, not mine."

A sudden flapping can be heard causing me to look up. At that moment a black-and-white owl lands on top of my sketchbook holding a letter addressed to me. I glance over to see that Hermione is still busy finishing off her letter, so I grab the parchment quickly from the owl and give it a small rub, wondering who it could be from.

I look down to see my name written in a slanted elegant cursive writing, which is that of Draco's handwriting. I never sent him any letters throughout the holiday, so it is quite a surprise to receive one from him.

I open the envelope which is encasing a brief letter and a moving photograph. The letter stating:

'Dear Nyx Granger, I admit I do miss your amusing banter and cheery conversation. Crabbe and Goyle certainly can become quite a bore, it's like talking to a wall. They always just listen to me. And yes, I know you would say to me, but why are you complaining? You love to boast endlessly about yourself to anybody that would listen. - '

I giggle at this. He certainly does have that spot on.

'But occasionally... a little more than I care to admit, I prefer the back-and-forth mockery we do that they simply cannot live up to. Trust me I tried. I hope you having a good summer. I thought I'd send you a photo of me practicing for Quidditch, I hope to make it to the big teams one day. Sincerely, Draco Malfoy.'

I pick up the photo to see Draco zooming around in their extravagant courtyard next to their house, rose bushes stretching far and wide around him. Beyond the courtyard is an outstretched forest, almost just like the Forbidden Forest back at Hogwarts.

"Who sent that letter?" asks my sister as she sends off Errol to the Weasley's.

I jolt upright as I scramble to cover up the letter and photo from Draco. In my nervous rush I end up knocking my pencils and sketch book to the floor along with the letter and photo.

"What! Nothing. Nothing... It's nothing." I rush to pick up all my things, sticking the letter in between the pages of my book. Taking out a treat I give it to the owl and send it off.

Hermione watches on suspiciously. "I don't recognize that owl. And how come you sending the owl off. Aren't you going to respond?"

I turn to my sister, somewhat recovered from the nervous wreck I had suddenly become. "Firstly, no I am not. And secondly, it's actually none of your business. And thirdly, the letter doesn't need a response given to. It was just a friendly reminder note."

"Mmhmm, you are acting very strangely. The same way when I questioned you about that necklace you seem to never take off. What is it supposed to be anyways?" she asks.

"It's a Thestral. Not everyone can see them."

"Right... It's rather scary looking."

"If you could see them, you would be able to appreciate the creature's beauty," I say solemnly.

Hermione points her head up, which she usually does when she is either being snobbish and smart or if she doesn't believe you to which she then turns the situation around so that she can seem smarter.

"Well, I'm not stupid you know. The necklace and that letter, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with that Draco Malfoy, it sure seemed to look like him in that photo you dropped. And if I were you, I would watch out being friends with him, his whole family have been known to associate themselves to the dark side."

Those words stabbing a little deeper than what they were meant to.

I grab my sketch book along with my pencils as I rudely snap back, "I can think and lookout for myself. I don't need you to do it for me, thank you Hermione." I then stomp off into the house, leaving my shaken-up sister behind.

Year 2 - Summer Holidays ~ End