Year 3 - The Final Quidditch Match

The following day the whole castle is abuzz, Professor Flitwick can be seen teaching the front doors to recognize a large picture of Sirius Black, Filch is suddenly bustling up and down the corridors boarding up everything from tiny cracks in the walls to mouse holes, a bunch of surly security trolls have been hired to guard the entrance to Gryffindor Tower; they pace the corridor in a menacing group, talking in grunts and comparing the size of their clubs.

The story going around the castle is that Sirius Black got into the Gryffindor boys' dormitory and almost killed Ron.

"Too bad he couldn't finish them all off," says the one Slytherin during breakfast.

"That Weasley has been walking around telling the story as if he is some hero," grunts Pansy. "I bet you he was quivering like the coward he is."

The school owls swoop into the Great Hall carrying mail as usual, moments later we see Neville scampering off out of the hall, clutching an envelope that cannot be mistaken for a Howler.

The Slytherin table explodes with laughter at the sight of him. We all hear the Howler go off in the entrance hall; Neville's grandmothers voice, magically magnified to a hundred times its usual volume, shrieking about how he had brought shame on the whole family.

The Slytherin students see to it to tease Neville every time they see him, for the rest of the day.

Poor Neville, I'm actually starting to feel sorry for him. If it isn't the Slytherin's mocking him, then it's Professor Snape that's always got it in for him, ever since the first year. Who knows what that poor boy has done to infuriate Snape like that.

I mean Professor Snape is mean to everyone, but it's double when it comes to Neville.

Later that evening, Tracy and I walk into the common room to find a notice on the bulletin board.

"Hogsmeade, next weekend! Maybe we can do something together this time," Tracey says with a smile. "I mean since the passed two times you've spent it with Mister Slytherin and the twins –"

"Mr Slytherin?" I interrupt as we grab our usual corner in the common room, near the bookshelves.

"Well I figured you wouldn't want anybody knowing that you hanging with," she lowers her voice to a whisper, "Draco."

Slumping my shoulders, I look over to her with a scowl. "I do want everyone to know. But as you know he doesn't want his father to know."

She taps my arm lightly. "Hey, look at the bright side. At least there is one thing that he doesn't want his father to hear about."

I stifle a giggle. "That's not funny," I say as I raise an eyebrow. Taking out our homework for the day. "Don't get me wrong sneaking around is really fun, I do it with the twins all the time. But his father is downright an outrageous twa –"

"Crabbe how many times do I have to say that to you for you to understand." Draco's voice suddenly fills the common room as he walks in with Crabbe and Goyle.

His eyes quickly scan the common room finding me in the corner, the side of his lip twitches up slightly as he locks eyes with mine.

But only for a brief second before continuing on as he sits down on the couch in front of the fireplace, "I don't know why you have to be such an idiot sometimes."

"I saw that you know," Tracey says, snapping me out of my daydream.

I turn to her, opening my book for Potions. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh, come on," she sighs. "That brief little look you two shared. I can promise you half this school already knows you two hang out. He's always acting different when you're around. AND –"