Year 4 - The Dark Mark

"Don't tell your mother you've been gambling," Mr. Weasley implores Fred and George as we make our way slowly down the purple-carpeted stairs.

"Don't worry, Dad," says Fred gleefully, "we've got big plans for this money. We don't want it confiscated."

Mr. Weasley looks for a moment as though he is going to ask what these big plans are but seems to decide against it. But George and I look at each other with sly grins on our faces knowing this money is being invested straight into the Joke Shop.

We are soon caught up in the crowds now flooding out of the stadium and back to our campsites. Raucous singing is borne toward us on the night air as we retrace our steps along the lantern-lit path, and leprechauns keep shooting over our heads, cackling and waving their lanterns.

When we finally reach the tent, nobody feels like sleeping and given the level of noise and energy around us Mr. Weasley lights a fire as the twins grab his Irish flag and begin singing and dancing in celebration; pulling me with them as they dance happily. Bill, Charlie, and Percy all having a verbal replay of the events in the bunk area for the boys.

"We did it," George cheers happily as we form a circle and begin to do the Irish dance.

The pops and bangs of firecrackers going off outside the tents, along with the screams of nearby partyers. Mr. Weasley disappears out of the tent.

Ron comes stomping by with Harry following. "There's no one like Krum," he groans, grabbing our attention as we stop dancing.

"Krum," the twin's chorus.

"He's like a bird the way he rides the wind," Ron continues.

The twins flapping their arms like wings as they circle Ron.

"He's more than an athlete," says Ron, ignoring his brothers as they throw the Irish flag over his head. "He's an artist," he carries on taking the flag off.

"Think you're in love Ron," Ginny adds as she walks by, my sister still busy by the bunks. Harry leaning against one of the tents poles.

"Shut up," he groans.

The twins still dancing around Ron go on their knees as they sing Viktor Krums name.

I join in as they sing 'Viktor I do'.

Now Harry joining in as we continue singing, "when we're a part my heart only beats for you!"

The screams outside growing louder making George and my attention shift to the tents entrance. George stands up from the floor. "Looks like the Irish have got their pride on."

"Stop!" Mr. Weasley comes bursting in.

"Stop it!" he yells as Ron and Fred continue wrestling each other. "It's not the Irish."

He walks to Harry and Ginny as he continues, "we have got to get out of here. Now!"

The moment we all run out of the tent we can see people running and screaming. We can see them running away into the woods, fleeing something that is moving across the field toward us, something that is emitting odd flashes of light and noises like gunfire.

Loud jeering, roars of laughter and drunken yells are drifting toward us; then comes a burst of strong green light, which illuminates the scene. A group of masked and hooded wizards tightly packed and moving together with wands pointing straight upward, is marching slowly across the field.

High above them, floating along in mid-air is four struggling figures who are being contorted into grotesque shapes. It is as though the masked wizards on the ground are puppeteers and the people above them are marionettes operating by invisible strings that rise from the wands into the air. Two of the figures are very small.