Year 1 - The Potions Master

Friday has finally come after a long and exhausting first week. We have received mountains of homework to do over the course of the weekend and we haven't even been to potions yet.

Walking into the Great Hall I go over to the Slytherin table, grabbing myself some porridge.

I see Hermione walking in before long and taking a place near Ron and Harry. I excuse myself from the table and head over to her.

"Hello sis, I see we have double potions together this morning," I say as I sit down next to her, receiving quite a number of looks from students in various different Houses but I'm not going to let that bother me.

"Yes indeed." Her nose pressed into one of her books.

"Want to walk there together?" I ask.

She glances up surprised. "Are you sure your Slytherin friends will be fine with that?"

I shrug as I take another bite of my food. "I'm not worried what they think, the only friend I have there is Tracey Davis."

Ron interrupts our conversation, as if only realizing now that I am at their table, "why is there a Slytherin at our table? Shouldn't you be off mingling with your own?"

I scowl. "I'm here for my sister not you. Unless she says I'm no longer welcome to come over here, I will be here."

Ron looks over at Hermione which in turn lifts her head in a snobbish type of way. "She is my sister Ron, so of course she will always be welcome here to come see me."

Ron is about to answer when an owl flutters down in front of Harry and drops a note into his plate. I overhear Harry say to Ron that Hagrid has invited him for tea this afternoon.

After breakfast I walk down to the dungeons with Tracey and Hermione for our Potions lesson with Professor Snape. As every teacher has done so far this week, Snape takes a roll call of all the names before beginning with his class.

He wastes no time going into the lesson. "You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion-making." Snape able to keep the classroom quiet without any effort. "As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death... If you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."

Snape has us hanging on his every word, afraid to make the slightest of sounds as he teaches.

"Potter!" says Snape suddenly causing a few of us to jump in our seats. "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

My sister obviously not wasting any time shoots her hand into the air as I slump down further into my seat next to Tracey. I thought I told my sister to stop unleashing all her knowledge like a know-it-all.

"I don't know, sir," says Harry.

I see Snapes lips curl into a sneer. "Tut, tut fame clearly isn't everything." Completely ignoring Hermione's hand.

"Let's try again. Potter, where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?"

I can hear Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle snickering beside me as the entire class looks on between Snape and Harry, as if we are watching a muggle tennis match.

My sister stretches her hand as high into the air as it can go without her leaving her seat.

"I don't know, sir," Harry answers again.