Year 2 - The Writing On The Wall

October has arrived, spreading a damp chill over the grounds and into the castle. Due to the cold Madam Pomfrey is kept busy by a sudden spate of colds among the staff and students. Her Pepper-up Potion works instantly, though it leaves the drinker smoking at the ears for several hours afterwards.

Raindrops the size of bullets thunder on the castle windows for days on end causing the lake to rise and flower beds to turn into muddy streams. Oliver Woods enthusiasm for regular training sessions, however, is not dampened keeping the twins out at practice almost every day.

Fred and George try to convince me to spy on the Slytherin Quidditch team, so that they can know what they are up against with the new brooms the team received. However, I explain to them that since Draco and I are no longer on speaking terms I have no interest in the Slytherin Quidditch team's practices.

By the time Halloween arrives, I have barely had time to visit the twins and I am still avoiding Draco; Should we cross paths then we only throw insults at each other, to which I usually begin the argument, not able to forgive him yet for the insult on that one Saturday.

The Great Hall is decorated with the usual live bats, Hagrid's vast pumpkins which are carved into lanterns large enough for three men to sit in, and rumors are going around that Dumbledore has booked a troupe of dancing skeletons for the entertainment.

Once the festivities of the Halloween feast are over, we begin to march our way back to our common rooms. Students babbling away as the sound of hundreds of feet climbing the stairs echo through the hallways; The loud, happy talk of well-fed people.

The chatter, the bustle, the noise dies suddenly as everyone comes to a sudden stand still. Tracey and I at the back of the group.

We stand on our tiptoes to peer over the heads of everyone to see what the commotion is ahead when I spot some writing on the wall, Mrs. Norris hanging by her tail from the torch bracket and none other than my sister once again in the middle of it all with the two troublemakers.

Tracey lets out a gasp as we start to push our forward through the mass of students pressing forward to see the grisly sight.

Before breaking through all the students someone shouts through the quiet.

"Enemies of the Heir, beware! You'll be next, Mudbloods!"

It is Draco Malfoy. His voice sending me to a standstill. I look over to the writing on the wall once again:

THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS HAS BEEN OPENED. ENEMIES OF THE HEIR, BEWARE.

"What's going on here? What's going on?"

Attracted no doubt by Draco's shout, Argus Filch comes shouldering his way through the crowd. Then he sees Mrs. Norris and falls back, clutching his face in horror.

"My cat! My cat! What's happened to Mrs. Norris?" he shrieks. His popping eyes falls on Harry.

"You!" he screeches, "you! You've murdered my cat! You've killed her! I'll kill you! I'll –"

"Argus!"

Dumbledore arrives on the scene, followed by a number of other teachers. In seconds, he sweeps passed Harry, Ron, and Hermione and detaches Mrs. Norris from the torch bracket.

"Come with me, Argus," he says to Filch. "You too, Mr. Potter, Mr. Weasley, Miss Granger."

Lockhart steps forward eagerly. "My office is nearest, Headmaster... Just upstairs... Please feel free..."

"Thank you, Gilderoy," says Dumbledore.

The silent crowd parts to let them pass. Lockhart, looking excited and important, hurries after Dumbledore; so, does Professors McGonagall and Snape.