Year 6 - The Unbreakable Vow

Everything Draco explained to me up in the Astronomy Tower that night, it makes sense, he's making a decision not just for his parents, but for me as well and I think if I was in his shoes I probably would have done the same, regardless that I protested against his decision.

I understand he needs to do this, as he says to protect even me, however, I will not give up on saving him. I will ensure to be there for him from a distance, to protect him and ensure he doesn't do anything reckless, like a guardian angel in the shadows.

I just can't get over the shock of him being a Death Eater, I never thought it would come to this. He always promised me, however, I know there was nothing he could do. And even though other people think so poorly about him and his family, Draco is too pure to be a Death Eater. He doesn't deserve to be forced into this situation just because of his father; having his life laid out for him before he was even born. He didn't ask for any of this, but yet he has needed to grow up quicker than is expected.

Draco and Harry are actually a lot more similar than they would ever admit, but their lives have both been set out for them, not allowing them to enjoy their lives as teenagers should. Having to make life or death choices that most people would never have to make in their whole lifetime.

And as the days pass by, I keep that very fresh memory of that night lingering in my mind, especially the words he said just before he left, 'don't see this moment of weakness in me as a cry for help that I need to be saved. I don't need anybody's help, especially not yours otherwise all I've done to protect you will be for nothing. I meant every word; I am still toxic, and I dont want to be around you anymore...'

He had bared no emotion, however he had a subtle pained expression in his eyes, as though for the first time pushing someone way was the hardest thing for him to do.

Even though he is doing everything he can to protect me, I still can't just walk away like there is nothing between us. But something about that night makes things feel so final between Draco and I; makes it feel like even once all this is over that there is no chance of us ever becoming close again.

With that sinking thought weighing down on my heart it makes me hang onto that memory even more as the snow swirls against the icy windows once more at Hogwarts; Christmas approaching fast. Hagrid has already single-handedly delivered the usual twelve Christmas trees for the Great Hall; garlands of holly and tinsel has been twisted around the banisters of the stairs; everlasting candles glow from inside the helmets of suits of armour and great bunches of mistletoe have been hung at intervals along the corridors which creates much chaos as the girls all converse underneath these hoping to catch the right boy under one.

Draco is more distant with me now than the time we met, however, as I promised I try to keep my distance. I still find myself from time to time following him secretly to see where he goes and what he gets up to, and each time we end at the same place, the 7th Floor prefects bathroom.

I only once ever see him go into the Room of Requirement; however, I do not dare follow. It does, however, make me even more curious and worried what he is up to. As firstly, what would he possibly want in the Room of Requirement, unless it was just by chance that that time was the first time ever he went there.

Secondly, who is he talking to in the bathroom that he sometimes spends hours on end in there, and what could he possibly be discussing; because when he emerges from the bathroom, he always looks pale and as though he had been crying. I tell myself I'm imagining things because there is no way Draco would shed even one tear. All he knows is hatred towards others.

I just need to know what his task is, that way I can find a way to secretly help him and try lightening the burden for him, making it easier. That's why I still follow him, hoping he lets it slip quietly to someone or to himself when he is alone, however, finding out that information is proving to be difficult.