Year 3 - The Time Turner

Harry still looking around in a daze, not understanding what has just happened.

"Hermione?"

"Come on let's go," she says, pulling us behind her.

We run down the corridors all the way down towards Hagrid's hut. Where we can hear our own voices, moments after the past Hermione slaps Draco.

"We have to hide; Malfoy is coming this way." She drags us out the side of the corridor, bending low behind the wall.

"Hermione what is going on?" Harry asks again.

"We've gone back in time," Hermione whispers.

We hear Draco's footsteps pass by with Crabbe and Goyle's. Not long after mine pass too.

Hermione turns to us holding up the hourglass. "It's called a Time Turner." She whispers gazing at me, "Nyx, I'm sorry for lying to you about when you told me your plan. Professor McGonagall gave it to me on our first day back. I've been using it all year to get to all my lessons. Professor McGonagall made me swear I wouldn't tell anyone, not even you."

I narrow my eyes at my sister, a burning sensation filling my chest making me feel as though I can't breathe.

"She had to write all sorts of letters to the Ministry of Magic so I could have one. She had to tell them that I was a model student, and that I'd never, ever use it for anything except my studies... I've been turning it back so I could do hours over again, that's how I've been doing several lessons at once, see?" she continues.

"Why would Dumbledore send us back to this time?" asks Harry.

I throw my hands up in frustration. "Hello! I wanted to use a Time Turner to originally save Buckbeak! But Hermione was convinced it wouldn't work because this –" I point furiously at the hourglass. "Apparently was just a myth!"

Hermione places it back under her clothes. "Nyx, I'm sorry. I really am... But how will this help Sirius?"

Harry begins talking excitedly, "Dumbledore said – He just told us where the window is... The window of Flitwick's office! Where they've got Sirius locked up! We've got to fly Buckbeak up to the window and rescue Sirius! Sirius can escape on Buckbeak... They can escape together!"

Hermione looks terrified.

"If we manage that without being seen, it'll be a miracle!"

"Well, we've got to try, haven't we?" says Harry. He stands up and heads towards the stone steps leading to Hagrid's hut.

The shadows are already lengthening, the tops of the trees in the Forbidden Forest gliding once more with gold.

"I've been trying to say this all along," I huff as Hermione and I catch up to Harry.

Seconds later we tear across the vegetable gardens to the greenhouses, pausing for a moment behind them, then setting off again fast as we can, skirting around the Whomping Willow, tearing toward the shelter of the forest...

Safe in the shadows of the trees, I turn around and peer into the forest, hoping my past self won't be seen.

"Right," Hermione gasps. "We need to sneak over to Hagrid's... Keep out of sight..."

We make our way silently through the trees, keeping to the very edge of the forest. Then, as we glimpse the front of Hagrid's house, we see the past Harry, Ron, and Hermione knock on Hagrid's door.

We move quickly behind a wide oak trunk and peer out from either side. Hagrid has appeared in his doorway, shaking and white.

"Yeh shouldn've come!" Hagrid whispers. He stands back allowing them in and shuts the door quickly.