two

The weekend was spent hungover and hearing Quinn go on about the tons of men who's messaged her. Each one offering tons of money, gifts, trips and mind-blowing sex. I got a lot of messages from potential sugar daddies as well but I wasn't interested in any of them. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't nearly as enthusiastic about the whole thing like Quinn was. 

Something about the arrangement made me feel uncomfortable. I knew that I couldn't just have sex with anyone, I had to be in it emotionally. I may have had the odd drunk hook up but to do that long term would only turn me into an alcoholic. 

For the time being, I still had to go to work. I worked at a sit down restaurant who's clientele were mostly creepy older men who wanted to watch sports games and the asses of the female servers. As much as I didn't want to, I got into my car and tried to mentally prepare for my shift. 

I turned up the radio to cover the concerning grinding sound my car made while I drove. I could barely afford the insurance on it much less the maintenance and repairs too. Even working full time with tips on top, living on my own proved to be expensive even with a roommate. I thought about selling my car and using public transit but I couldn't bring myself to sell what I saved for during most of high school.

The day I picked up my car was one I wouldn't forget, it was probably the most excited I had ever been because I had worked so hard for it. It was in the summer which meant the day was mostly spent driving to beaches with Quinn right there in the passenger seat. Of course Quinn was driving her parents older BMW during high school but Quinn was just as excited as I was. A smile formed on my face as I thought about that day, the first time I felt... boujee.

Most of my classmates saved for their own car had little beaters but my SUV was more like what our parents drove. Sure it was only a Honda SUV but it was the only thing I owned that made me feel luxurious. I always had an eye for luxury things. I had fawned over Quinn when her parents bought her a Louis Vuitton crossbody purse for her birthday. And when Quinn got her parent's BMW, I was pretty much drooling. 

Quinn's parents were both doctors who had their own family practice. To put it simply, they were the types to flaunt their money. Her parents lived in a mansion of a house and even though they were now only left with Quinn's two younger brothers, I doubted her parents were planning to downsize anytime soon. Every time I saw Quinn's mom, she was always sporting a new designer handbag, I rarely saw her with the same one twice. Her parents were also the type to buy a new luxury car every couple years just to pass the old one down to their daughter. I had been envious of Quinn because of her upbringing in a wealthy family but she tried to let me know it wasn't all as glamorous as it looked. Regardless of what she said, I wanted to have that same life. 

My parents weren't poor or anything. My mom was a teacher and my dad was a supervisor at a construction company. I had gotten the trendy toys, clothing brands and Heelys, like most kids. My mother drove a Toyota sedan and my dad drove a pick up truck. Our house was an average brick bungalow in a family oriented neighbourhood where I would walk to and from school everyday with my older sister. We went on a vacation or road trip every year and we met our relatives at my Nonna's house for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I was in competitive swimming and I did my homework as best as I could. It was a normal and comfortable life.

But there I was, working on server wage and depending on tips, I wasn't anywhere the dream lifestyle Quinn had. And although I didn't regret the way I was raised, I was envious of Quinn's upbringing.  

All too soon I was pulling into the rear parking lot of the restaurant. The building was half decent on the outside. It was similar to something you'd see in any movie about the Wild West. Very square, horizontal wood slats that covered the entire front side of the building but was a neutral brown to be modern. There was also a porch that held barrels and doors that had vinyl on them to look like the classic saloon doors. The inside was like any other sit down restaurant but had the decor to stick to the Wild West theme. Horseshoes, lassoes, tumbleweeds and cowboy boots. The only thing that was different from the other sit down restaurants was the large abundance of TV's that hung from the ceiling.