thirty nine

I want to start the thread first this week so hiiiii friends! 🥰

The relief that flowed through me was nothing I had ever experienced. Just the knowledge that Layla was present was enough to ease me. Tears of relief overflowed and ran down my cheeks as I watched her stride over. At some point Jack had dropped his hand but I was too focused on her to notice.

Her eyes met mine then her movements stopped. "What the fuck did you give her?" Her voice was cold and harsh, sending a shiver through me but one that was from arousal.

My body began working in cooperation with the aphrodisiac now that Layla was present. My skin felt hot, making sitting still on the ground like a punishment. She was making her attraction so much stronger than was appropriate during the situation.

Jack stood but dragged me up with him. My knees were weak from the drug, causing me to almost collapse back onto the ground. He held me close to him even though I was trying to push myself from him. Layla's eyes were shining brightly as she took a step forward, mouth beginning to move. But she froze once again when something cold and metal was pressed against my temple.

Layla's expression had changed. It was a look that I didn't want to see even more than the weapon that was pressed to my head. Trying to focus on the events unfolding was difficult. The waves of lust for Layla and the nausea for Jack battled within my stomach uncomfortably.

"You took such a long time to get here, Holt." Jack sneered before his hand on my arm gripped painfully. My face twisted but I forced myself to stay silent.

Laylas tone was serious, a hint of tightness to it. "Let Brielle go and the two of us will renegotiate our agreement."

With everything that was going on, I had almost forgotten about the person Layla had an agreement with. The settling down while I was in France with Quinn and staying with Layla in her home. This was all because of Jack. Finally the situation made sense.

Jack had likely threatened me when Layla announced her retirement from the illegal business. They discussed things and came to an agreement but Jack went back on it. Now I was drugged and Layla was holding two guns.

My gaze stayed on Layla as her eyes kept glancing between Jack and I. She was nervous... about me?

Jack however seemed relaxed even though his grip on my arm was now so tight it began to go numb. "We can discuss that now. Shouldn't she know the truth?"

My body began to perk itself up. I already knew the truth, Layla's past with her biological parents and with me. What more was there to know?

Layla's eyes narrowed before they found the boxes, files littering the ground from when I had looked them over. Her face went a little pale.

Noticing this look as well, Jack chuckled to himself. "Oh right! I already told her."

Her gaze turned away from me. I went to speak but Jack's gun pressed against my head. A silent command to keep quiet.

"She was disgusted." Jack continued as my teeth clenched. The thought actually went through my mind to say something but my body wouldn't allow it. "She was so disgusted that she voiced she'd rather be with me than a stalker."

Layla's gaze returned to me to see the tears overwhelming my eyes. Without the ability to stop them, they poured down my cheeks. The lust for her had turned to guilt. Guilt for appearing guilty. Surely, because she saw me crying she would believe his words.

She looked to Jack. "How upsetting." For a statement like that, she sounded angry.

Jack shrugged and pulled me closer to him, his grip loosening just enough to no longer be so uncomfortable. 

"Dee!" 

The warehouse went pitch black. 

A loud bang echoed painfully.

Someone took hold of me, shielding me behind them.

My mind couldn't realize what happened as it was within a moment that everything happened. My body was frozen, unable to move in fear that something may happen. 

"Fuck, Holt!" Jack cursed loudly nearby.

Shots are fired from outside but Layla's voice pulled my attention. "Brielle?!" What did she sound so far away?

"Don't speak." His voice was quiet, covered by the gunfire. 

I wasn't getting a break. "Jayden... I need her..." My sob was quiet as I could barely speak the words out loud. I did need her. I needed Layla like the air I breathed each moment. Jayden didn't say anything but took my arm and led me within the dark. 

The lights clicked on, blinding me for a moment. Layla was pointing one of her guns at Jack who was speaking to her quietly. She turned to me for a moment, seeing Jayden lead me away.  Jack said something else. She snapped back to him before another bang rang out, Jack fell to the ground as he cursed loudly at her. 

My eyes widened as the scene before me became blurry with tears. I collapsed to my knees, the overwhelming events and lack of rest finally reaching a limit. Jayden was speaking to me but it faded to the background. 

My body was hot again. Burning for Layla. The whiplash of the drug was mentally draining me since my body was already too exhausted though it was still affected. I covered my ears and cried quietly to myself. 

My sanity was slowly slipping. Within my mind were screwed up fantasies involving a blonde woman. She was beautiful. But combined with the events taking place, I felt horrible about it.

I was so tired, I wanted to sleep. The ground was too uncomfortable and kept me awake.

Suddenly a familiar touch held my chin. To my surprise, I launched my arms around their neck and sobbed loudly into the blonde hair. 

"Brielle. Please.... forgive me." Her voice was like a lullaby, pushing me to rest. Her words were a distance away but her touch was close. 

I opened my eyes, pleased to see that she was holding me back then looking up with a tired expression. "Layla..." My hand clutched at the dark fabric of her hoodie. "I wanna go home..."

Layla looked away with a nod. "Alright. I'll carry you to the car and have Quinn meet you there."

"No." I shook my head with a yawn. "I meant... like, to you."

She smiled softly. "Alright, my love." It seemed the horrible events had passed, the warehouse quiet again but the energy was lighter. I tried to turn my head but Layla's hands came to keep my gaze on her, her tone stern. "Don't look."

I nodded in understanding before she moved back, as if realizing how I was dressed. Layla's shirt was hanging off my shoulder, revealing more of my breasts than it should. Wearing only underwear on the bottom and my face flushed from crying and the drug. 

Her eyes changed, a familiar expression of arousal as her tongue quickly skimmed over her lips. She then took off her hoodie and quickly placed it over my head. It was enough to cover my top half but the sleeves were long, covering my palms. 

Not a word was spoken as she picked me up princess style, my hands meeting behind her neck. "Close your eyes and rest if you like. We're going home." I nodded and shut my eyes as she began to walk. 

It only took a few moments of feeling each bounce of her steps for me to fall asleep. 

Short but that's the end of the drama lol basically during Brielle's wee mental breakdown, Layla took care of everything lol 

I'm feeling a little sad because we're almost at the end of the novel. I'm actually surprised I got to this part already, I thought it'd go longer. Oops I guess 🤷🏻‍♀️ lol

And sorry I'm posting later on the last couple Wednesdays, I started a new job and it's like super hectic rn 😒 but I'll try to have a full chapter done earlier next week!!