eleven

My nerves were completely shaken. Not only was I on my way to our beach date but Layla hadn't picked me up, just her driver Carlos had shown up with the Bentley and apologized on her behalf. 

The grip I had on the handles of my bag helped keep me slightly balanced. The tan leather fabric slightly squeaked which alerted me to try to calm myself. A silent deep breath did little to help relax me. 

The drive wasn't far but the time seemed to stretch on. I nervously scrolled through feeds to help distract me but everything tied back to Layla. I wasn't sure why she hadn't shown up and what we were even doing today.

With little to prepare with, Quinn had packed my bag for me for the many scenarios that could play out. She had also told me to prepare to potentially sleep with her. 

That was the main reason for my heightened anxiety. The chance that we may sleep together kept nagging at me. I wasn't a pushover but the stress of Layla ending the arrangement because I refused to have sex may sway my actions.

My gaze turned to look out the window, checking where we were at. We had been following the water but now we were approaching a marina. I took the moment to admire the boats and watched the people already there, getting ready to head out into the open water. 

To my surprise, Carlos turned into the marina until we pulled up next to a familiar black Bugatti. As Carlos parked, Layla slipped out of her sports car. She was wearing denim shorts and a white t-shirt but dark bikini straps were dangling next to her neck. 

Layla opened the car door for me with a smirk. "Good morning, Brielle." Her voice was like a cool breeze on that hot morning. 

Something about her presence helped alleviate some of the stress. Being with Layla provided a strange sense of security even though I had no idea where our time together would lead to. The last time we saw each other we made out on the hood of her car so I had no idea what to expect on that date. 

"Morning." I replied with a soft smile and got out of the car. 

Her light touch on my lower back made me more nervous even though I was a tad relieved by it. "Have you eaten yet?" She inquired as she began to guide me as we walked behind Carlos towards the docks.

I shook my head, I was too nervous to eat before I left. "I'm okay, though."

Layla's hand slid to my waist to pull me closer to her as she leaned in. Nothing about her touch was uncomfortable like it would be with anyone else. I had to ignore the urge to turn to her when I noticed that she had turned her head so that her lips were just above my ear. I could feel my pulse had picked up but like before, I liked her close proximity. 

She hummed in thought. "That will not do, Brielle. It is my responsibility within our arrangement to take care of you so breakfast is to be included in that."

My head finally turned slightly, our speed slowing as I did so. "It's really okay, Layla."

Her lips pulled at the corners as she looked down at me. "No, princess. I will have something made for us as I also have yet to eat." She turned ahead as we stepped onto the wooden docks and began to pass the boats still present. 

It was while passing them that In realized how large these boats were. Not the typical motorboats that people took out for the day but the ones that were classified as yachts.

"Here we are." Layla announced as we approached the one at the end since it didn't fit in the regular spots. 

The yacht was huge to put it simply. Much too large for someone to casually own. Then again, the woman I was dating owned the Bugatti and the Bentley in the parking lot. Still, I gawked up at the floating mansion-sized boat with complete and utter shock. 

Layla chuckled before I felt her take hold of my chin to turn my face to look at her. "You are adorable, Brielle." She placed a gentle kiss on my forehead. It looked like she was about to say something when a man called her name. 

"Hey, Holt!" We turned to see a man with a young woman approaching us.

Layla pulled me closer to her side. "Ah, Jack."

I'm finally doing it! I'm editing this chapter and the next to edit in Carlos as the captain and Jack as, whatever he was up to lol