thirty

Being in Layla's arms again was something that made me incredibly emotional. Not only because I had missed her but because of how her presence took away all my anxiety and fears regarding the situation with her leaving the mafia.

"I'm sorry, Brielle." She apologized again before she took my face in her hands to force me to look at her.

She saw my eyes full with tears as I pressed my lips together in hopes that I wouldn't break down.

"My poor princess." She slowly kissed my cheeks underneath each eye. "You're making me feel as though I was the one that broke things off." She pulled back allowing me to see her smirk. Even after this time apart, she was still teasing me.

"I-" My mind had gone blank so coming up with a reason for her was difficult. Not to mention I was trying to keep myself from crying. "Sorry."

Though the word was so soft I could barely hear it, Layla caught it. She chuckled as I tried pulling myself together. "You have nothing to be sorry for, Brielle. But why don't you reassure your parents before we continue?"

I turned to see my parents standing a little ways away, talking softly with confused expressions. Reluctantly, I left Layla's embrace and went over to my parents.

"Who's that?" My mom asked looking a bit unsure.

"Oh, uh... that's Layla. She's my..." Finding the right way to describe her was difficult. My gaze turned to her as if it'd give me an idea of what to say but instead I found her heading over to us.

"Layla Holt." She offered her hand with a polite smile. "Brielle is a wonderful woman. I'm very lucky to have her." Her hand rested on my waist after shaking hands with my parents.

My dads brows furrowed slightly. "I've heard that name before."

Layla looked pleased to hear my dad say that. "Perhaps from the dealerships that I own in the area."

My mom lit up as she realized, patting my dad's arm. "You know, the car dealerships! Remember we went to one so I could look at an Audi when I got my raise?"

My dad nodded, realizing as well but also probably getting an idea of how wealthy Layla was. "Ah, I see."

"If you're ever considering getting a new vehicle, please let me know. I can add some large discounts for you." Layla offered with a grin.

Was she trying to win over my parents? I suppose they would be impressed if they could get a luxury vehicle for a bit cheaper. Though, it was strange to think that Layla wanted to impress them since she easily did that without bribery. 

My mom smiled. "I'll be sure to keep that in mind! We better head out. It was nice to meet you, Layla."

"You as well." Layla replied politely.

My dad gave me a look. "Visit again soon."

I nodded with a small smile. "I will."

After a quick goodbye, my parents left. Suddenly being alone with Layla was making me a bit nervous. As my parents car drove away, I found it difficult to turn to face the woman next to me.

"Brielle." I turned to her to see her smiling down at me. "Were you really going to drive after drinking so much?"

I turned from her teasing grin. "I hadn't thought that far."

"I see." She chuckled then placed a kiss in my hair. Any tension left simply dissolved away. Her affection had been greatly missed but now I was feeling incredibly greedy. One kiss on the head wasn't enough. 

My body turned to her and I took the moment to see really see her since I had voided our contract. She was still as beautiful as ever. Even with the dark circles under her eyes and her skin not as luminous as before, I still found her incredibly attractive. 

"If you keep staring at me like that, I can't promise I'll behave myself." She was joking, or at least made it seem that way. She noticed my cheeks going red and smiled. "Brielle. Let's go for a drive and talk." It was at that moment I realized that the Bentley was no longer in the parking lot. 

My head nodded before we got to my car. She drove as I sat in the passenger seat. Not having to drive meant I could look out the window and admire the views. But it would be hard to do that when Layla was sitting so close to me. Even as she began to drive off, her hand came to my thigh, holding it in her hand. 

"I have a question." There was something bothering me since Layla had shown up. 

She glanced at me with a smile, unconcerned with what I could possibly be asking. "You know I will always tell you the truth."

"I know." I said before taking a moment to continue. "Why aren't you acting any different?"

Layla's brows pulled together before she understood and smiled again. "Oh, right. I guess because I didn't really believe you when you tried to break things off."

"Huh?!" My face went hot with embarrassment. "What does that even mean?!"

Layla laughed, a hearty sound that made my stomach flutter at the sound. "Come on, Brielle. You can't look so upset when breaking up with someone. Besides, I knew it didn't have to do with how you felt for me."

My head turned to the window, looking out at the city as we passed through. "Hm. You sure are confident."

"I am because I know you. You wouldn't have agreed to have sex right after if you didn't feel something for me. As well as the fact that you ran right to me tonight." Layla grinned, as if proud as she thought back on my reaction to her sudden appearance. 

Not confirming or denying her claims, I asked another question. "So what does that mean now if you didn't believe me?"

Her hand moved to take mine in hers. She was still looking ahead as she lifted our hands so she could press a kiss to my knuckles. "It means we never broke up."

My cheeks were red again as she lowered her hands to rest on her lap. "Oh... well I definitely thought we were." Being reminded of how hurt I was during our time apart made it seem so silly. Of course there was no way I would've known that's how she felt. "Then why didn't you try to talk to me?"

"I was waiting for you. I figured you would only need a few more days then you'd message or call me." Layla's smile faltered and her expression went serious. "I couldn't wait for you any longer. The situation has escalated once again so your safety is my first priority."

Hearing her say that made me feel both excited and concerned. She wanted to make sure I was safe but now I was in danger again. I was going to get whiplash if it continued. 

"Do I get to go home now?" The idea of going home was strange. After being away for a while made it seem similar to nostalgic. 

"No." Her answer was so simple that I sat there for a few moments waiting for her to explain but she remained silent. 

A tired sigh left me. "So where am I going?"

Layla turned to me with a smirk. "You'll be staying with me, princess."

A half update with some good fluff because you guys deserve something after all the cliffhangers (only to get another but we won't talk about that lol) 

Also we need a ship name for these two!!!! Pls give me some suggestions bc I'm so bad it lol