au - cottagecore

This has been updated but I didn't really put a tag since it's just and au not part of the main story 

I've started a few au's but this one somehow finished first while I was in one of my cottagecore moods bc forest + cottage + girlfriend = my dream lol

I imagine a smaller age gap between them in this one. maybe like five years? btw this is going to be fluffy and have literally no point lol

⚠️ I'm putting a disclaimer bc there is drug use (cannabis) in this chapter 

Brielle was a flower child. One who was raised by her parents on their farm with minimum utilities and relied on the land, especially the cannabis that they grew and harvested every year. And while her older sister left the farm for the city, Brielle had no plans to leave the place she had grown to appreciate.

Now that Brielle had grown into a young woman, she still lived on her parent's hundred-odd acre property but in the once abandoned cottage her father had fixed up for her. It was really just one big room with a kitchen and a bathroom but she turned it into her own little haven. 

But that day the brunette was picking berries from the bushes, her basket beginning to fill from the bounty of her garden. She enjoyed gardening whether it was her fruits and vegetables or her flowers, she loved to care for them and watch them grow. 

Hens clucked as they wandered around the cottage while the warm summer breeze coasted through her long hair. The tranquility of her place left her to have space from her parents but also walk through the forest if she ever needed anything or to simply visit. Though the young woman was happy to be accompanied by her few farm animals and nature. 

Through her gathering from her garden, the familiar sound of footsteps on the nearby trail drew her attention. Brielle stood from within her garden with her basket in hand to greet who she assumed would be one of her parents. 

To her surprise it was neither, it was her neighbour. Her name was Layla Holt, a dairy farmer who was learning to take over the business for when her parents decided to retire. Though this was what took up most of Layla's time, she took each opportunity to visit the younger brunette. 

Layla ran a hand through her blonde bob then waved as her rubber boots trudged through the long grass. "Hello, Brielle."

The brunette smiled and placed her basket gently on the ground before dashing through her garden to meet the blonde. "Layla!"

The blonde chuckled at the familiar sight of her barefooted lover, the soles of her feet dark from the earth as her dress fluttered around her. Layla caught Brielle in her arms, burrowing her face in the younger's hair to enjoy the familiar scent of baking and flowers. 

Brielle's arms were wrapped around the other's neck, the familiar touch reminding her that sometimes her farm animals and nature wasn't quite enough for her. "I missed you."

Ever since Brielle was young, she always enjoyed joining her mother to go to the neighbour's stand to buy milk and cheese since a lot of the time Layla would be helping it. Even though Layla was a bit older, Brielle had always looked up to her as the cool prince that were in the stories. Layla always had her hair short and she was a real tomboy, never wearing skirts or dresses. Mud and whatever else caked onto her boots and denim. 

During these trips, whenever their mothers would talk, Brielle would convince the cool blonde to run around with her. Often it would be to play Brielle's favourite game which was to climb the trees then purposefully get stuck so Layla would have to help her. Over the years, Brielle's feelings never wavered only growing stronger with each visit to their dairy farm. It was only when they much older they began to date before they were quickly and deeply in love.