thirty seven

Jack was leaning on the concrete wall with a grin as he watched my reaction to seeing my ex boyfriend. "Go on, Brielle. Say hi to him." When I sat there speechless for a few moments, he pushed himself off the wall and strode over to us, slapping his hand on Jayden's back. "She must be so surprised!"

Jayden turned to him, arms crossed with a deadpan look. "You make it sound like a good thing."

"It's all about perspective, JJ!" He grinned even wider to the point his eyes were squinting.

Jayden's face scrunched up with disgust. "JJ?" He sighed and looked away. "Whatever."

Jack looked like he had won something and dropped his hand. He turned to me, his smile fading slightly. "Listen, Brielle. You seem to be in the dark about a lot. I can understand since Layla is a really dangerous person but you should be careful with her."

If I wasn't so terrified from being kidnapped, I would have looked at him like an idiot. "Layla isn't dangerous..."

His smile grew again at my quiet words but took on a more wicked appearance. "You don't know anything, do you?" I remained silent since I really didn't know anything even though I had many questions. He chuckled and went somewhere behind me. When he returned a few moments later, he was carrying a folder. He opened it and took out a photo. "Recognize this couple?"

He held up the photo to me as I did recognize the couple within it. I nodded slightly as he looked surprised.

"And what do you know about them?" He questioned as Jayden stood there quietly. It was terribly uncomfortable having him present.

My attention focused on the photo of the couple. My mind having trouble remembering what I knew about them because of how anxious I was. "Not much."

"But you know their names?" Jack pressed.

"Rebecca and Ian." I answered quietly, my eyes glancing at Jayden who's gaze was intently on me, making me more anxious.

Jack nodded. "Good, good. Do you know who they are to your dear Layla?" I shook my head. "I'm not surprised. Layla wouldn't dare tell you about her birth parents. She is very private about it. I even had to find out myself and I'm her best friend."

There was no way in hell this guy was Layla's best friend. But I knew better than to argue or deny it.

Jack continued by holding up another photo. This one was one of family photos I had seen up in Layla's home. "These are her adopted parents. Has she ever spoken about them?"

"Only a little." I recalled them being retired and that Layla had described their relationship with warmth in her eyes. It was clear they had a good relationship and she loved her parents.

He nodded and shut the folder. "I will give you a little history lesson then. To start we will talk about her birth parents."

Something about hearing about Layla's past was intriguing but I didn't know if I could trust that Jack would tell me the truth. Couldn't he just lie about it to achieve his own goals? What was the goal of kidnapping me anyway? And what benefited him from telling me about Layla's parents?

He put a hand on his chin like he was deep in thought. "After Layla was born her mother bailed, leaving her at the hospital alone with the nurses. Luckily for her, she was quickly adopted by a wealthy couple. Her new parents raised her as their own and Layla turned out to be an obedient and brilliant child."

Layla as a child, wearing a private school uniform being diligent to her schoolwork and living a privileged life wasn't hard to imagine. Of course she was smart, she now owned multiple car dealerships and had professional ties within the industry.