twenty seven

Seeing Carlos in front of our apartment door came as a surprise. My face tried not to reflect the stabbing pain in my heart suddenly was felt intensely, fresh all over again. Though it was better than seeing Layla, it only meant she had sent him.

"What are you doing here?" My feet stepped a bit closer but my voice was soft from shock.

He gave me a polite smile when he saw me before getting serious again. "Miss Holt has sent me to give you a message. She's experiencing some tension with her work and she thinks it'll be safer for you to go out of town for a few more days."

"A few more?" Quinn echoed immediately. "How'd she know we were out of town in the first place?"

"Social media posts are full of information. With that in mind, she asks that you refrain from posting to keep you safe." Carlos advised with a serious tone.

Quinn put a hand on my shoulder. "Bri?"

Ignoring her checking in, I directed the question to Carlos. "Why do I have to go out of town because of some tension?"

"Someone has made threats in regards to your wellbeing. He's done such things before so we have to take them seriously." Carlos paused for a moment. "She's concerned about your safety Miss Kingston."

Quinn's hand tightened around my arm with surprise as I froze with the additional shock. "We already have our bags mostly packed. We can even go out of the country."

"But..." My words trailed off. The fear of being in danger was now real. The reason I had ended things with Layla was now a reality. Things between us were over but I was still in danger.

"Would you like me to accompany you?" Carlos suggested before he continued. "I can not only pilot if you'd like to go out of the country but I have also been trained for personal security. Not to mention, I'm sure Miss Holt would feel more at ease that I'd be accompanying you."

Carlos' suggestion made me feel more comfortable with the idea of going out of town for a bit longer. If he could protect me then I didn't want to refuse the offer. My head nodded as Quinn hugged my arm. Carlos walked past us as he made a call. My best friend led us inside the apartment before she went to pack a bit more while I sat on the couch.

My mind was blank with disbelief. The fact that I was about to leave the country for my safety was not quite clicking in my head. When Carlos returned he stood next to the couch.

"She's happy with the solution. So, Miss Kingston, where would you like to go?"

"France." The answer left me before I could reply and a wave of déjà-vu came over me.

Quinn peeked out from the bedroom. "France? Oh, okay." She quickly went back into her room, probably to adjust what she was packing.

"Do you have a specific city in mind? If not, I can make some suggestions." Carlos spoke in a professional yet casual tone. A perfect balance that made me feel comfortable with him.

"I'm thinking a small town with a winery or a beach. Scenic but not crowded with tourists." My vision of my hideout was definitely Hollywood inspired but I figured being in a quiet town in France would be calming enough to combat my anxiety.

He thought for a moment. "I know a small town with a beach that's not a far drive from many wineries."

A soft sigh of relief left me. "Let's go there."

Carlos nodded just as Quinn left my bedroom with several bags. "Let me." Carlos offered before going over to take all the bags from her. I was surprised how easily he was able to situate multiple suitcases and bags. "I'll be sitting out front."