twenty eight

Carlos flew us back the next day and dropped us off in the parking garage. He offered to drive us to our parent's house but we both politely declined. To be honest, a drive to my parent's house would provide some time to think of what to say to my parents.

"I don't want to stick around here longer than needed." I commented as Carlos transferred our luggage into our cars.

Quinn's head nodded in agreement. "It must not be that bad though if Carlos isn't escorting you."

She had a good point. If there was still a threat then we wouldn't be back in the city. "You're right."

"I know." She grinned before she gave me a hug, seeing that Carlos had finished putting her bags in her BMW. "Try to have fun at your parents house. You haven't seen them since the holidays."

"I'll try." I promised with a small smile.

Quinn pulled back and gave me her eyes squinted at me accusingly. "I'll expect you to let me know when we're good to come home."

A giggle bubbled out of me. "If I remember."

She sighed with a small smile and began to make her way over to her car. "I'll text you." She informed as she opened her car door.

"Okay." I gave her a small wave as she drove off.

A few moments later Carlos approached. "Your luggage is in your car."

"Thanks." My lips curved to give a smile before it faltered again.

Mentally I was exhausted. The moving around was tiring me out. I was used to going to work and home and occasionally to the club with friends. There was this looming feeling that I couldn't put my finger on and it was making me anxious again.

"Are you ready to leave?" Carlos pushed lightly. He knew I was nervous and maybe even wondered if I had taken back my decision to be left on my own.

Gathering up the little willpower I had left, I gave him a reassuring smile. "Yeah. Sorry, I was just thinking."

Carlos seemed relieved at my response and smiled. "Not a problem. Are you sure you don't want me to drive you?"

My head shook. "I'm okay, thanks. Will you be the one to let me know when it's okay to come home?" I hoped it would be him since talking to Layla would still be difficult for me to handle.

"Yes. I will leave behind you when you're ready." Carlos waited for me to nod before he went to the car.

Driving out of the apartment building felt strange but the time away would may be good for me. But having to stay with my family was something I wasn't looking forward to. I had grown up average but my parents worked a lot and kept to themselves.

Now my family and I were distant. We all got along but there was this strange sense of disconnection between us all. If I wasn't taking the overtime to work on a holiday, I met my family for dinner. Usually it took place at my grandma's house but since she passed, our extended family slowly stopped getting together.

A heavy sigh left me as I got closer to my parent's house. My parent's worked through the week and it being a Wednesday was not a preferable day to be visiting. Since it was an unplanned visit, I decided to call her to make sure it was okay.

"Brielle! How are you?" My mother answered through the car speakers.

"I'm good, I was wondering if it was cool for me to visiting today for a night. I know it's the middle of the week but..." I wasn't sure what excuse to use to help convince her.

"Actually right now is perfect! The kids are doing their exams so I'll be off early today. Why don't we meet for dinner? Your dad's working but maybe we can surprise him with dessert or something!" My mom rambled as she usually did.