twenty-one

This one is in Layla's POV and I've been wanting to write this chapter for a while so I really hope you guys like it!

Another job went smoothly allowing me to finally relax. I leaned back against the seat, my eyes closing from the fatigue of the past few days. The only good thing was that it was Friday so we were on our way to pick up Brielle to go for sushi. 

Having been back from Paris meant I had been too busy got see Brielle much which was a hassle in itself. Though now the work week was over and I could spend some real time with my beloved princess. 

"You seem happier now that you have her." Carlos voiced aloud as he drove. 

It was at that moment I realized I was smiling without my knowledge. 

The moment I saw Brielle I knew she would suit me. Though she was wearing the ridiculous skanky uniform of the tacky restaurant and looked like she had just graduated high school, I saw that she was possibly the one I had been waiting for. Then though she hid it well I could tell that she possessed the attitude. She perhaps didn't even notice the way her eyes closed slowly before opened back up when she was with her difficult customer. 

It was a bit of a coincidence that I was even in that restaurant in the first place. It was close to one of my Volkswagen dealerships and I was too hungry to travel to my usual place in the area. I was a bit disappointed that Brielle wasn't my server but looking back it was perhaps better that way. Instead I had a pretty redhead who seemed to be close to her by the way they conversed when they would go in and out of the back together. 

At one point the redhead was smiling and saying something to Brielle before they went to the back. Then Brielle tried to sneak a look at me without being obvious but I was already watching her with a smirk. It was adorable the way her cheeks went red before she hurried through the doors. 

Once I was done my meal and paid, I had left with the feeling of being watched. I smiled to myself knowing just who it was. 

That day I had sent for Carlos to find information on her. Like all young adults these days, a good portion of her life was on social media. Though most had a filter to make things look better than it really was, I got the impression that Brielle wasn't the type to post something that wasn't authentic. 

I was still in the office that evening when I was scrolling through her public profiles. She certainly did just graduate from high school that year and most of her photos included a pretty dark haired girl who I quickly found out was her best friend. 

There was something about Brielle that sparked my interest and so I hired someone to keep a discreet eye on her and report back. In the past this was something I did for most people I met. New hires, friends, family, etc. Anyone I wanted to know more about I only had to hire the service and the information flowed. 

Information was key my success so naturally it became second nature and even a hobby to learn more of those around me. Though the more information that came in about Brielle, the more I was intrigued. 

It seemed she lived a normal life. Her parents were still married, she had an older sister, was still living at home but looking for an apartment with her best friend. Most of the time when something came as an interest to me, there was something in their life to explain it. A bad ex, parental trauma, etc. But there was nothing coming from Brielle that would explain it. 

The answer came though when I looked into the best friend. Quinn Suzuki. Eldest child of two Dr. Suzuki's that own their own practice within the city. Looking through her social media, it was easy to see that Quinn was cherished through material goods by her parents. On the post of a new bag or random expensive gift from them, Brielle's comment would always be underneath. Through her comments I got a sense of yearning.