twenty five

The whole weekend was spent drinking. 

A part of me knew it was unfair for me to be so upset about Layla since I was the one that dumped her but I couldn't help it. She was part of something I was uncomfortable with and I couldn't continue with the relationship while pretending everything was okay. My decision was that its was better to cut things off sooner rather than letting it drag out and be more hurt by the separation. Even though, I had very strong feelings for her as it was. 

As well as helping me numb my feelings, drinking also helped me forget how sore my body was. Layla had left without a word only leaving a hundred dollar bill behind. But she had really done a number on me. When I had showered at the hotel I was able to see all her fresh marks on my body. The worst was my neck. Since Layla's lips had spent lots of time in that area, hickeys and bite marks were spread out with red outlines. 

Quinn was working through the weekend and when she was home I was asleep or curled into a ball while hungover. By me avoiding her was my way of delaying telling her what had happened with Layla but I knew I wouldn't be able to avoid her keen senses for long. 

On the Sunday evening I had finally pulled myself out of bed for the day. I had kept on the baggy sweatpants and hoodie with my hair in a lazy bun before making my way to the kitchen. 

"Hey stranger." Quinn joked as she heard me emerge from my room. When she turned her attention from the TV to me, her expression immediately changed. "Oh fuck."

The one thing I had yet to do since I broke things off with Layla was to cry about it. To mourn over my lingering feelings and how I missed out on an amazing partner because her occupation was too much for me to handle. 

When Quinn cursed and her face changed to that worried yet caring expression, all the emotions surfaced and overwhelmed me. My best friend rushed over to hold me while I began to bawl like a baby. My strength left my body as I held back onto her but we soon softly dropped to the floor. 

The only thing I needed was my best friend's comfort. Without Layla, Quinn was my only source for emotional support again. A small part of me felt bad to have her comfort me but I was so desperate for any affection, more than I had before. 

After my cries went from loud wails to soft sobs, Quinn began to speak. "Talk to me, Bri."

It took me some time before I finally told her everything. From what Aliyah told me to when we broke up, including a quick summary of what happened at the hotel. We didn't move from the floor but Quinn had an arm wrapped around me while I spoke. 

When I finished, she sighed. "Wow. The mafia... Well, I can't say I blame you. I don't know anything but what I've seen in movies but I can imagine it'd be scary to know someone affiliated with it." I didn't say anything but nodded in agreement. "So you've been drinking this weekend to deal with it?"

"Yeah." I bit my lip and turned away with shame. It wasn't a healthy way of coping but I couldn't bring myself to find a better way when the alcohol did so well. 

"I get it. But have you been eating?" Quinn inquired with a more motherly tone. 

My head stayed facing away from her since I hadn't been eating properly. I would pick at whatever before realizing I had no appetite at all. The only time I did eat was when I woke up hungover and starving. 

"I'll take that as a no then." She said before getting up. I watched as she went to grab her phone and started tapping on it. 

Curiosity got the best of me. "What are you doing?"

"Ordering food." She answered simply, a serious look of concentration on her face as she ordered.

We slowly worked on a bottle of rosé and ate sushi that Quinn had ordered while we talked. It was always therapeutic to talk to Quinn but even when I had told her everything, I still felt horrible.