twenty nine

Since I got to the restaurant first, I ended up being surprised when my mom walked in with my dad. My mom looked excited to see my reaction whereas my dad just looked happy to see me. I wasn't expecting him but he must have left work to come see me. A sense of guilt and anxiety began to settle in.

"Bri!" My mom came and hugged me around my shoulders before she sat down next to my dad. "You need to visit more often."

An awkward laugh left me. "I was working a lot but I should have more time now."

My dad was looking at me intently. "What are those things on your eyes?"

My mom rolled her eyes. "They're eyelash extensions. I've talked to you about them when Cordelia got them done."

The mention of my sister made me tense up slightly. We used to be close since our parents worked so much but then she went off to university. Cordelia was the perfect daughter. Smart, beautiful and had her whole life already figured out by the time she was my age. Now she's twenty six with a house, husband and two cute kids.

My mom turned to me with a big smile. "Speaking of Cordie, I invited her and the family to join us. I'm not sure when they'll be here though."

"That's fine. Oh, um, I meant if they aren't here right away." I explained as the anxiety began to show through.

Cordelia and I hadn't truly talked in a long time. During family dinners, she tended to keep herself busy with her kids and when she tried to talk to me, I gave vague answers before her kids or her husband would pull her attention away.

Before Quinn was my sister. Cordelia was there for me when my parents were busy with work then when my sister moved out to go to school, Quinn seemed to take her place on being my support system. Needless to say, the fact that she was coming when I was simply down to visit was awkward.

A server approached with a smile to get our order for drinks. Mom chose a dry white wine while dad went with a whiskey sour. Being at a proper sit down restaurant meant that I had to order something. I wasn't much of a wine fan and so I went with the usual.

"I'll have a cosmo please." I informed with a polite smile. The server smiled and dismissed themselves, leaving us to return to our conversation.

My mom leaned back in her chair with a smile. "Looks like you've gotten some good tips since you're more dressed up than usual. " My mom teased with a smile. Although she did have a point.

Since Quinn had done the packing, I was sporting an outfit with much more effort than I would normally put in for a day of travelling. The outfit consisted of jeans and a cream coloured blouse. I suppose the gold accessories and the Antigona were obvious signs that my style had gone through a recent upgrade. Usually when I went to my parent's house, I wore simple and more relaxed outfits like a lounge set.

"Oh, ha ha. Quinn and I started investing more into our wardrobe." I admitted vaguely.

My mom smiled at the mention of my best friend. "The gold looks so good on you. I should get some pieces like that."

I gave her a slight nod and a smile. "It'd look good on you."

The server returned with the drinks a few moments later when a family walked in. My gaze went to them to see two children, a boy about three years old and a baby in a car seat. The car seat was held by a handsome man with dark features while the wife next to him was a happy brunette who held the boy's hand as they followed the host.

My mom set her glass down so she could go pick up the little boy and place a kiss on his chubby cheek. "My sweet boy, River!"

"Gramma! Mommy said I get choco milk!" My nephew smiled while telling my mom the news.