thirty four

⚠️ This chapter mentions drug use, violence, suicide so please read with caution. I will put more caution symbols at the paragraphs with the mentions as there will be a few of them. 

The day passed by incredibly slow that Friday. Layla had an unexpected meeting come up so I could barely talk to her. I spent a lot of the day wandering the mansion, trying to remember the layout but it was too confusing. 

During my self unguided tour, I eventually reached the attic. It looked to be mostly storage for holiday decorations which took up majority of the space. There was also boxes labeled with large X's on the side. Curious, I took the first box off the top and sat on the floor with it. 

The box was a bit dusty meaning it hadn't been opened in a while. Lifting the lid off, I expected boring paper work from the dealerships or something. What I found though was much different. 

An excited gasp left me as I pulled out the first photo album. It was tilted Ian and Rebecca - 2003 so I opened it to see who the people were. Inside were photos as well as small tags with information. 

June 14th, 2003 - staying with friends in Jackson. It was strange to note where they were staying but as I looked at the photos and notes, it seemed that about once a week, the couple were seen together in rough looking areas. 

Who were these people to Layla? Looking at their features, they did look similar to her so I wondered if they were her parents. They looked to be about the right age too. I went into the box again to see that the latest album in the box was only 2004 so I opened the next box. 

Each box seemed to be a year or two since flipping through the albums, there were sometimes gaps of time between the photos and notes. The couple tended to move to a new city which confused me. Why would they be constantly moving around? I soon came to the realization that they didn't have a permanent living place. After a while, I dug through the last box and found the latest album. 

Ian and Rebecca - 2006

The album was by far the shortest I had found. On the first page was a newspaper clipping with the couple's mugshots and an article. 

On March 14th, 2006 Ian and Rebecca Brown was arrested and charged with assault of a police officer and attempted robbery. At 2:05am, the couple entered the 7-11 on Market Street. 

⚠️The worker at the time explained the events. "They were clearly on some crazy drugs. The man shouted as they came in, waving a bat to intimidate me and the customer within the store. The woman pulled out a bag and threw it at me and demanded I put cash, booze and cigarettes in it. They kept arguing at each other while I filled the bag." 

⚠️The worker complied but was lucky when police officers happened to stop at the scene while the couple tried to commit the robbery. Officer Olivia Roberts, 26, was violently struck in the head by Ian Brown's baseball bat but was able to quickly recover enough to arrest the man while her partner Sergeant Justin Lane, 34, arrested the woman. 

The article went on about the officer's recovery and trial which was short as they had been convicted of a robbery in the past. The next article clipping explained how the couple was let out on a bail of $100,000 on the request of the judge that they both be admitted to rehab.

Following photos were of the couple in separate rehab centres and that they were clearly struggling. Ian seemed to be more physically violent while Rebecca was shown mostly keeping to herself in the garden. 

The final page of the album showed an article of Rebecca's photo and Ian's mugshot. My brows furrowed as I read the article. 

On July 23rd, 2006 Ian Brown, a convicted felon and husband of Rebecca Brown, had stolen various medications and escaped the rehabilitation centre he had been committed to on the terms of their bail for an attempted robbery back in March.