Phone Calls

I lay in bathtub thoughtfully.

     Zeke or Will?

     Will or Zeke?

     Who says I have to choose?

     I'm just friends with both of them.

     Then again, Zeke asked me out. On a date. I've been flirting with Zeke ever since I first met him. Would it be fair if I just immediately shut him down? Shouldn't I at least go on one date with him? After all, Will and I aren't even a thing. All I know is that he thinks I'm pretty and I suspect he has a crush on me. And I feel like there's a very likely chance I could have a crush on him.  Maybe I do have a crush on him?

     I dont know!

     I don't know anymore!

     I thought life would be easier than this!

     I take a deep breath and scoop some of the bubbles out of the water. I love bubble baths. I know I'm not five anymore, but bubble baths just help me think. They're warm, steamy and they smell great. I just love them. If I could, I'd probably take a bath a day, but school requires that I study and do stuff.

     I think on Will. How friendly and kind he is. His eyes always have that look about them, of otherness. As if he sees things much different - much farther than any other person. As if his thoughts wandered far enough, they could fall off the earth, start flying and make it to the end of the universe.

     I'm snapped out of my thoughts by a knock at the bathroom door.

     "Sidney! The phone is for you! You want it?" I hear Poppy on the other side of the door.

     To clarify- yes. I'm back at school.  It was sort of nice to get back to my dorm room and my friends. Poppy and I are pretty close, even though she's kind of shy and quiet sometimes.

     I look at the door, "Who is it?"

     She answers, "Zeke!"

     I feel nervousness settle in the pit of my stomach. Quickly, I climb out of the tub and wrap a towel around me. I open the door and Poppy hands me the phone.

     "How's the bath going?" She asks, her blue eyes friendly.

     "Just dandy." I answer, closing the door, "Thanks."

     I hold the phone up to my ear and peel my towel off, stepping back in the tub, "Hello?"

     "Hey, Zeke Davies here." Zeke answers on the other line.

     "Yeah, Zeke, hey!" I say, cheerfully.

     "So you're back at home base?" Zeke inquires.

     "Yep." I sigh, "Back at Harvard."

     "That's great. Anyway, I just wanted to check up, see how you were doing." He says.

     "Yeah. I'm doing fine." I nod.

     "That's great. How's Iris doing?" He asks.

     "She's loving marriage. Loves her husband. She seems to be doing well." I answer.

     "That's good." Zeke says, followed by an awkward silence. I know he wants to ask about the date, but he also doesn't want to pressure me. I respect him for that. Zeke really is a nice guy. He deserves someone really nice.

     "Well-" he starts.

     "Hey, Zeke." I cut him off, "About that date, I'm really busy right now and-"