Bookstore

I rushed out of school as early as I could today. As, I walk down the sidewalk, the cold air pushes against me violently and relentlessly. Utah definitely isn't known to be the warmest place in the middle of January. Hurrying along the path, I hear a call from behind me, "Sidney, wait up!"

I turn, spotting Juliette running behind me to catch up. Her coat isn't buttoned up all the way, which exposes her gray Beatles T-shirt. I mentally think, Juliette, you idiot, you're going to catch a cold!

She runs up along side me, "Where are you going in such a hurry?"

I look down the side walk in the direction I'm heading, "Cafe Eclectic, if you must ask. I'm trying to get there before they close. Stacey is closing early today and I want to run in if I can."

Juliette snorts, "Do you going have to go to that silly bookstore every day after school?"

I begin walking again, "Apparently I do."

She walks fast, keeping up with me, "It's like three blocks out of your way and you spend like an hour reading there everyday."

"I know." I answer shortly.

"Your Mom is going to kill you if you're late to the diner again. You have to help her with the clean up shift since you're so lacking in cooking skills." Juliette says, in a teasing, warning voice.

I huff, walking faster, "I am not going to be late. Now button up your coat. She really will kill me if you get sick on my watch."

Juliette laughs her little fourth grader laugh, "You were leaving me at the school- I hardly doubt you'd get in trouble if I got sick."

"Don't be an idiot, Juli. Just come on, I'm trying to get to the bookstore and you're slowing me down." I say.

She huffs, "Well, sorry. I don't know what adrenaline drink your teachers gave you but all I got today was a bottle of water!"

She continues talking when I don't answer, "And besides, Cafe Eclectic is hardly a real bookstore. It's called Cafe Eclectic. It's just a small shop that sells books and coffee with muffins."

I scowl at her, "Cafe Eclectic is awesome, and your argument is invalid."

Juliette snickers, skipping to keep up with me.

I look at her, "You're going to fall."

She shrugs, "That's okay, it'll be on your watch."

I shadow my eyes and press forward, nearly one block away from my beloved bookstore.

Juliette mutters, "How do you think Percy and Iris did at Middle School today?"

I shrug, "I reckon they did fine. Middle school probably isn't the fantasy land you think it is, Juliette."

"It'll be better than elementary school." Juliette chirps, "I've seen the stuff Iris is learning and her stuff looks much cooler than my stuff."

I huff, trying to ignore her. We near the bookshop and I push my way in the door. Stacey sits behind the counter of my little brick bookstore. She looks up, her brown hair in a pony tail. She looks at the clock and smiles, "Ah, Sidney. Good to see you back again."

I smile, "You too."

Juliette follows me, "Notice how she said again? When you come to a bookstore, you're not supposed to sit and read the books, you're supposed to buy them."

"No one cares." I mumble, finding a book and sliding it off the shelf.

I walk over towards the chairs in the back, and Juliette follows me, "What do I do while I wait for you to take me to the diner?"

I gesture to her backpack, "Do your homework."

"Oh, what fun." She says, sarcastically as she plops down in a chair next to me, "I just don't see what you like about this bookstore so much."

It goes deeper than just liking it. This place has a homey feel to it. The coffee smell, something I can't help but love, and the aroma of fresh baked goods, mixed with the smell of new books. It's a calm place where the mind can wander. It gets me out of my athletic competitiveness, and I just feel like I can breathe here. Trying to be the smartest and most athletic isn't easy. Even as a fifth grader, still being as young as I am, I worry a lot about things. The brick walls and comfy couch chairs beckon me here everyday, and while some girls dream of going to the beach or hanging out with friends after school, I always look forward to coming to my bookstore and letting my mind wander.

I sigh, burying my nose in a book, "I could sit here and read forever."