One Year

I pull my pink dress down further, trying to make it reach my knees. Silver earring hang from my ears and I've put my hair in as neat a bun as I can get it.

Pride swells up in me as I look at myself in the mirror. I've worked since kindergarten to get to this point. Nothing else had ever crossed my mind - I always knew I would graduate from Harvard to become an engineer. I am going to change everything. I'm finally going to go out in the world and do something with my life.

Mom and Dad are supposed to meet me at the Forum where i'm getting my certificate. I just can't believe that I've made it this far. Years of college. I've found myself here. I know exactly who I am and how I want to improve. The year of living with Zeke, Narcisuss, Leon and Shawn have gone by so fast. I've grown to love them and have fun with them. I'll never forget them and the good times we've had. It was like adopting four more brothers.

I close my eyes, taking a deep breath. This is it. I'm a big girl now. I've got to do big stuff. I put my forehead against the wall, thinking.

I think of Will. He was supposed to be here for this. We had planned to have a big celebration. He'd said something about traveling all over Europe when I was done. And he'd show me the sights and what not. But I guess that's not happening now. I didn't even tell him I was graduating.

I open my eyes, swallowing. Time to go become an official big girl.

I walk out into the living room. All the guys wear nice clothes. Narcisuss and Shawn are watching some dumb movie. Leon is in the kitchen, he's warmed up some leftover Alfredo. Zeke is on the phone, talking to someone while he holds a candy wrapper in his hands.

I look at them, "You guys ready to go?"

Both Shawn and Narcisuss grunt, not looking away from the TV screen. Leon apparently didn't hear, and Zeke is too busy talking on the phone.

I walk over to Zeke and poke him, "Hey, this would be easier if you were helping."

He folds a finger up, motioning for me to wait. He looks at the Snickers candy wrapper, "Yeah, it said to call this number if I wasn't completely satisfied with my candy."

I squint at him, but he ignores me.

He rolls his eyes, talking into the phone, "Well, i'm not completely satisfied!"

My mouth officially drops open and I yank the phone out of his hand, holding it up to my ear, "Hey, sorry to waste your time - he'll get over it."

I hang up the phone.

Zeke looks at me offended, "Hey!"

I smile, "Hello! Yes, it's nice to see you today too. Come on guys! We can't be late for our own graduation!"

Leon smirks, "Well, technically we could. It would just be really dumb."

"Well, we aren't going to!' I say, grabbing the TV remote and turning the TV off.

Narcisuss and Shawn object, "What!"

"Hey! That was the best part!"

I glare at them, "Yeah, I couldn't help but notice that fake blonde was starting to take her clothes off."

Narcisuss grins, "Exactly."

I roll my eyes, "Whatever. She's not even pretty. Come on, let's go!"

Narcisuss jumps up, wrapping an arm around me as we all head to the front door, "I would take you to a museum and make out with you, but they said not to touch the master peices."

I roll my eyes as we walk up the stairs.

Zeke asks, "Were we supposed to get our own graduation robes or will they supply us with them?"