Ground Zero

"How's she doing?" Will asks, over the phone.

     I sigh, looking at her across the dance floor, "Crappy. Percy's so worried about her. He's having a hard time enjoying his own wedding. Percy is pretty fond of Tom."

     "Yeah." Will says, sadly, "We all were."

     I swallow, "Hey! Don't talk about him in past tense! He's not dead yet!"

     "But, Sid, it's not looking too good." He says, logically.

     "I don't care." I say, my voice cracking, "How am I supposed to face Iris if I know he's probably not going to make it through the night and she doesn't? She NEEDS to know."

     "She'll find out for herself in a few hours." Will says.

     I stand in silence, my eyes trained on Iris as people walk up to her, telling her that she's in their prayers, and they're so sorry and whatnot. She nods and says thank you, but she just looks tired. And sad.

     And then - when I think about Thomas..... They loved each other so much and he was SO good to her. They were perfect. He was hilarious and sweet and smart as a whip. It just sucks. This whole thing, it just sucks.

     "Poor Tommy." I mutter.

     "Poor Tommy? Poor IRIS. She's the one who has to live without him." Will says.

     I shake my head, "I guess, but.....Tom is DYING. He's in a COMA."

     "So he doesn't know what's going on." Will says.

     "That seems even worse." I say, quietly.

     He sighs, "I don't know."

      "Neither do I, anymore."

     "When are you going back to Harvard?" He asks.

      I purse my lips, "Not sure.  I'll see if Iris needs me. I've got to be here for her. And Percy of course. I mean, the timing on this really sucked. The day before the wedding? Could not have happened at a worse time."

     "There's no good time for things like this." Will says quietly.

     We sit in silence.

     "Well, I'm going to let you go. I have to attend this wedding thing. Act like I'm doing okay." I say.

     "Alright. Sidney, if you need anything, I'm here for you." He reassures.

     "Thank you, Will." I smile, "You're a really sweet guy."

     He says awkwardly, "Thanks. Um, bye."

     I smile, "Bye."

     :     :     :     :     :

     I walk into Iris' living room. I'm here for a few days to keep Iris company. I was at Harvard again for about a week after Percy's wedding, but Will expressed growing concern for Iris. In the time I was at Harvard, I saw Zeke only a few times, and exchanged only short conversations. The usual friendly hellos. I could tell he wanted to talk. I'm sure he's heard about Thomas. But he didn't push - which I was grateful for. 

     Juliette, Willa and Vanessa are here too. Although, Willa and Vanessa are in a hotel because Iris' apartment is too small for all of us.

     In the mean time, I still haven't seen Will. Which makes sense because I got here late last night.