Chapter 1 - A New Friend

The days went by slowly, but now it was time. For the examinations to begin once again. Class D had a slight chance to overtake Class C this exam. But that will depend on how the class takes this exam. It also depends on Ryūen's approach on the exam . After his defeat, he might decide to stay low. Being reckless won't do any good, and he already knows it.

I sighed as I pushed away these thoughts and focused on eating the instant noodles. The situation in the class was also peaceful, at least for now. But the peace was actually the last thing needed for Class D at the moment. Because Class D had let down their guard.

Sudou had become some kind of bodyguard for Horikita, which she didn't like a single bit. But getting irritated from Sudou's continuous persistence and complains of her being in danger from Ryūen. She finally let him do what he wanted.

The situation with girls was quite interesting at the moment. Not a single one of them talked with matsushita. Some did want to talk but held back because they didn't want to be targeted. It was clear from matsushita's eyes that she was hurt. So, I started to talk to her and she stopped caring about the girls in the class. Well, we certainly got closer. Most of our time together was spent in the library as she didn't like activities which girls did. In reality, that was just an excuse for not having anyone to do those activities with but I was not the one to mock her.

As I was floating in my thoughts I almost forgot about the meeting I had with matsushita. I sighed and changed my clothes to outdoor ones.

It was sunny outside. The whistling of birds was a rare sight here in ANHS so I enjoyed every chirping to my hearts content. Music really is powerful isn't it. Somehow it is able to calm down my hostility. Its ironic considering no amount of love can change me.

I entered the library finding most of the seats occupied by third years. They do leave the school before us I guess. Their final semester must have begun.

And there I saw her; she was sitting on a table in the back where there were less people. But she wasn't alone. A silver haired girl was with her, looking at matsushita with enthusiasm. It was funny considering matsushita was just nervously smiling and listening to whatever she was saying.

I sighed and made my way towards that table. Once I sat beside matsushita she gave me a look which was crying with relief. The other girl became quiet at the new presence. It seems she was the shy and lonely type.

Matsushita also looked shocked. But she calmed down and put her attention back into her book. Wow matsushita, you should have at least introduced her. This is too uncomfortable. I sighed and got up, grabbed the book I had borrowed last time.

Just as I was about to start reading, the girl sitting in the front called me.

"Um, is that 'Farewell my lovely' you are reading?"

I looked up from my book and flinched at the scene in front of me.

The most adorable smile, I had seen in years. A smile that somehow reminded me of my past. It was different. All this time I've been in this school, I've not seen a genuine and an innocent smile. All of them are full of deception. But she, she just felt different.

"Yes." I replied.

"It is a masterpiece, you should definet......" with that she just continuously kept on speaking.

I was surprised and somewhat understood matsushita and why she was so nervous. I looked over to the said girl who was just looking at the scene in pure amusement.

The girl in front of her, after giving an in-depth summary of the entire story and other works of 'Raymond chandler' realized what she had been doing. She blushed in embarrassment and looked down.