Chapter 1 - Something Special

"So have you heard about the rumors?" Horikita asked me after closing the book she was reading.

The winter holidays had finally concluded along with the new year. January 8th began as normal as I would like it to be. But as soon as I reached the class, Horikita didn't spare me from a new pointless ordeal.

"What rumors are you taking about?" I asked confused.

"Some interesting rumors have been circulating these past days."

Now that sparked my interest. Rumors never failed to entertain me considering how stupid they could be. Some might be true, but most of them were low effort figments of imagination of some edgy human. Well, I'm not the one to judge as I myself have been responsible for spreading the rumor about Chabashira Sensei's incompetency in teaching, back when I started high school.

"And who is in center of this all?" I asked her while glancing at the book she was reading. 'Crime and punishment' a classic by the Russian novelist Fyodor Dostoevsky.

"Ichinose Honami" I raised my eyebrows on the name of the person mentioned. It seems I was wrong about Ichinose too.

"And what kind of rumors?" I asked now giving my entire attention to the Black-haired beauty.

"It was something along the lines of engagement in theft and robbery. And another rumor surfaced said that she also had a noted history of drug usage."

Ichinose doing drug abuse, well that was definitely unexpected. But since it is a rumor, it is nothing more than a suspicion. And I find it hard to believe that she would be even associated with drugs.

"I see."

I turned away and she to proceeded to continue reading her book. The previous exam looked as if it was a disaster to Class D but in reality, Class A had suffered some critical blows.

First of all, Yahiko was expelled, a perfect scapegoat to understand the repercussions of expulsion on a class. Hashimoto was keeping a close eye on matsushita, he was under impression that she was behind Class D's success. I had successfully stepped down from the spotlight and put matsushita on the frontlines. The situation with Karuizawa was definitely not the best, she had suspicions about me. And after the stunt I pulled that day I knew I was skating on thin ice.

As with Satō, she was just avoiding me to best of her ability. Well, I don't blame her. She was sucked up in the plan all because I had to reject Ibuki.

One might ask, why didn't I want to answer Ibuki face to face. Some might say I didn't have guts to do it but that was totally not the case. I didn't want things between us to be awkward. It was better to not give her false hopes and crush them. Many might say that I did a bad move, but now that the damage was done there was no turning back for everyone involved.

Everyone in the Hiyori group had been a part of this conflict. I was glad it ended on a pleasant note. Kamuro and I have been on good terms since that day. She was breaking from her shell and she looked more beautiful. I was glad I managed to wipe that serious look from her face. She had feelings for me, but I wasn't ready for relationship at the moment. I was more concerned for what moves that man will take. It was unlike him to be this slow, there was a storm brewing in the shadows and I have to prepare myself when it hits me.

Mashima Sensei entered the class and proceeded to teach us physics, I paid attention for some time but gave up and rested my head on the desk. The class continued and I wondered what was going on with my life.

What was I exactly aiming for now? My earlier goal had been to live a peaceful life. But.... Is it possible now? If I really wanted a peaceful life I would have eliminated Kamuro a long time ago.