Chapter 7 - Motive

Matsushita POV

"Ayanokouji Kun, I need your help." I called out to the person in front of me. He just sighed in response and leaned against the wall.

"Horikita has already made it clear that she won't take any help from me this exam." He replied while staring at me.

I just chuckled and said, "You of all people must already know that Class D doesn't stand a chance. Even if she dies working harder than she is now, at this state the class doesn't even stand a chance against them."

He nodded and replied, "Yeah I know, Horikita took that challenge on whim. It is no doubt her arrogance led her to where she is now."

"So then.." I was about to speak when,

"Sorry, but I still won't help this exam." He replied in a stern tone.

I sighed; I had expected this. But I thought.. he would be a little more kind on me.

"I see, sorry for having taken your time." I bowed a little and started to make my way out when he called me,

"I said I will not help the class to win this exam. But I never said anything about not helping the class."

Huh? What did that even mean. I turned to give a questioning stare at him to which I received a shrug in return.

He said, "Do you really think I care about what happens to Horikita in this Exam?"

I should have gotten used to his words, but they still were harsh. He moved towards me and said, "But you do care about her, don't you Matsushita San?"

I sighed and rubbed my palm, "It seems I do care about her. This feeling to protect someone is indeed unnatural. But... I certainly like it."

He nodded and said, "You certainly have changed Matsushita. Earlier, I would have considered you as a threat for the Class, but from now what things are looking like. You might end up as the most powerful asset of the class."

I chuckled, "That is some high praise coming from you Ayanokouji Kun."

To which he just shook his head and turned towards his right at the window, "Yeah, you are quite lucky. There are not many people I hold in high regard."

For some reason I could feel the loneliness in his voice. A distant memory maybe?

"Hey Ayanokouji Kun, are you sure that letting Horikita kneel before Sakayanagi a good decision? She just became so competitive; won't it be a little disheartening for her?" I asked him, but the answer which I received sent shivers down my core.

"I don't have any use for a liability. If it comes to that, then I will be the one to remove her from the class."

With that he left me at the corridors in the building. But why did he call me to help Horikita. Didn't he want to help her?

I... I can't understand that guy at all. What exactly is he thinking, this exam is really going to be pain I guess.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Time Skip

The next day I made my way to the classroom. I checked my phone to find two messages from Hiyori. It seems she wanted the hiyori group to not meet till the exams end. It was honestly relieving to hear. It's hard to say 'No' to hiyori.