Chapter 83

Clad in a white sari, Nandini headed towards the tents of the queen with a stoic face. Devoid of vermillion in her forehead, she felt lively for once. She was satisfied as her oath of avenging against her husband was fulfilled after all, he had never treated her like his wife. She was glad that her people were finally saved from the dark days. 

She had felt a sharp pain in her heart when she had seen the dead body of Vikrant, her husband. Though that man had not given her an ounce of happiness, yet she had stayed with him in his house as his wife for months. A sudden thought of living a reclusive lifestyle with a tag of being a widow scared her. She loved her waist-length hair and she shuddered at the thought of being bald as the widows of her tribe were. For someone, who loved colors, a colorless life was indeed, the biggest ordeal.

Praying the Almighty to give her strength to adapt the reclusive lifestyle, she entered inside the queen’s tent. Though he had given her countless sleepless nights and tremendous pain, she had tears in her eyes at his demise. Perhaps, she had realized her oath to crush her husband’s illicit desires had destroyed her happy days too. She was deeply saddened at the turn her life had took.

Uday, on the other hand, was standing under the blistering sun lost in his own thoughts. He had noticed the queen’s love for his friend despite, Veer had planned to ruin her life at a point of time. Wishing for his friend’s fast recovery, he witnessed Nandini. His heart clenched looking her saddened demeanor. He felt a sudden urge to hug her tight and tell her that she was not alone in this cruel world.  He lacked the audacity to go before her and console her after all, it was against the standards of society but he made up his mind to add colors to her life again.

Nandini entered the tent of the queen timidly. She did not know what to expect. She was absolutely clueless how she should react. Aparajita, on the other hand, felt remorseful witnessing the turmoil of her young sister-in-law. She realized Nandini was indeed, a strong woman.

Her heart clenched that the young widow did not deserve the seven yards of white cloth that she had draped around herself. Aparajita was guilty for ruining a girl’s life. Mentally resolving to ensure Nandini gets a respected lifestyle even if it meant going against the rules of society, Aparajita was determined to redeem her wrongdoings. Giving a warm smile to Nandini, Aparajita engulfed her into her arms while she cried hard.

Nandini was truly thankful to the queen for her warm welcome. Her tears knew no bounds while Aparajita rubbed her back trying to calm her down. “I am so sorry”, Aparajita spoke cautiously trying to calm her sister-in-law.

“He deserved that, Your Highness”, Nandini spoke stoically devoid all the emotions.

“I am Aparajita for you, Nandini. You are just like my sister, a part of my family. I am so sorry to have ruined your life.” Aparajita spoke guiltily. She was crying hard.

Nandini wondered all Rathores were indeed, not bad at all. She was delighted to find a father-like figure in the old king, Maharaja Vijay Singh Rathore who had acknowledged her words when her biological father had not even paid heed to her in the past. She was glad to find a sister in the righteous queen who had embraced her lovingly while her own people had disowned her because she was a widow.

Folding her hands before Nandini, Aparajita pleaded her, “Please come home and stay with us”. Being well-versed with the societal norms, she knew several disrespectful rules were imposed for widows in the tribal villages. She did not want her timid sister-in-law to face those cruelties in the name of traditions.

“You will not ask me to cut my hair”, Nandini asked biting her lips. Strangely, she was more concerned of herself instead of her dead husband. Though she was guilty of her thoughts yet she could not help it. Perhaps, the company of her ruthless husband had made her emotionless and self-centered just like him, she thought. She was relieved from a toxic relationship and an infidel husband.

“No”, Aparajita said firmly. “I assure you of a normal life”, she promised her. The girls got ready to leave for the palace. Despite they did not talk much yet they wanted to cherish the newly formed bond of friendship, affection, sisterhood and togetherness.

A message was sent to the village headman of Pranathgarh, Avinash Singh Shekhawat that the queen of Vijaygarh was taking Nandini Singh Rathore back to Vijaygarh. After knowing the truth of Vikrant Singh Rathore, the old village headman was extremely guilty for have ruined his daughter’s life for his insatiable greed.

He was ashamed of himself for forcing his daughter to marry the cunning Rathore. He realized he was entirely wrong when he had thought he was securing future of Nandini by getting her married in the Rathore clan. He was remorseful for having pushed Nandini into hell after his daughter narrated the trauma she had faced.
Having known that his tribe would force Nandini to live an extremely reclusive life, his heart pained. Thus, when he got an opportunity to ensure that his daughter could live atleast a respected life in Vijaygarh since royal Rathores did not force the widows to go in isolation, he sent his daughter to the palace of Vijaygarh. He hoped for a happy future of his daughter which seemed a far-fetched dream now.

Upon the insistence of the mighty queen, Uday Singh Chauhan also headed towards Vijaygarh and arrangements were made to carry the wounded prince to the palace under the supervision of the royal physician.

Despite, the little girl in Aparajita wanted to meet her friend Veer and ask him to get well soon, she had avoided going to see him because she did not want to make a mockery of her situation in front of her subordinates.

When Aparajita climbed on her horse, she realized Nandini was still standing looking cluelessly at thousands of armed men who were ready to leave for their kingdom.

Instructing Avdhesh Singh Ranawat to arrange a palanquin for Nandini, she requested him, “Honorable commander-in-chief, I understand it is derogatory for your position to carry a palanquin but I request you to please do so. I am afraid the people might insult her calling her a widow and I don’t want that.”

Uday Singh Chauhan who overheard this conversation was truly overwhelmed. The respect for the mighty queen increased manifolds. Avdhesh Singh Ranawat obliged, “Your wish is my command, Your Highness”, while Uday jumped down his horse to seek permission from the queen to accompany Avdhesh.

Choosing his words cautiously, Uday spoke, “Your Highness. Pardon me for overhearing your conversation. I really appreciate your concerns for the honorable lady. I want you to grant me permission to accompany the commander-in-chief in this task.”

Remembering the tidbits of her discourse with Avdhesh Singh Ranawat in her tents where he had told her that Nandini had cautioned Uday for the attack beforehand, Aparajita could not help but smile observing the concerns Uday had for her newly found sister.

The queen had a myriads of questions for Uday but she knew it was not the right time. Giving him a tight-lipped smile, Aparajita nodded in affirmation mentally making a note to talk with Uday soon after reaching the palace.

Once Nandini departed in a palanquin with the most trusted men of Vijaygarh, Aparajita ensured that the chariot carrying the wounded prince of Shivgarh also began its journey towards Vijaygarh. Lost in her own musings, Aparajita galloped towards her palace only to lie in the lap of her father and cry her heart out. No doubts, the battle between the two royals of Rathore clan had proved to be emotionally draining for the young queen.

♥️♥️♥️

Hi everyone

Today is 8th March, a day celebrated in honor of all the women out there.

I am truly overwhelmed to post this chapter on International Women's Day as this chapter not only highlights the trauma of a woman but also subtly hints out that a widow deserves all the colors of happiness. A woman doesn't need a man to define herself but she doesn't need societal norms too!

I am truly loving the growing bonds of Nandini and Aparajita.

And Uday is just, love! ♥️

I will be back soon, I guess, around the weekend.

Till then, please
VOTE, COMMENT AND SHARE 🌹

Love you all
💜