Chapter 59

The commander-in-chief of the Rajputana army of Shivgarh was tired after the hectic day at the royal court and practice grounds. He had returned to the royal quarters at the backside of the royal palace of Shivgarh near the stables for animals where he resided. After imparting rigorous training to the young boys of Shivgarh who aspired to become royal guards and soldiers of the valiant Rajputana army, the young commander-in-chief was truly exhausted. He wanted to slump on his bed and sleep but his life was not really easy.

Uday Singh Chauhan sighed as he wiped his sweat and washed his face. The glistening water droplets mixed with sweat and his masculine scent reeked his tough life as a soldier.

Changing his clothes, Uday draped a loin cloth along with waist and wore a cotton kurta. He sighed as his stomach grumbled demanding food. After the death of his mother, his life as a bachelor was indeed, not an easy one. After all, he had to cook for himself after a hectic day at work and eat alone.

A smile crept on his face, as the young, handsome soldier remembered the day he ate food at Pranathgarh sitting with timid Nandini, wife of the alcoholic rogue Vikrant Singh Rathore.

While kneading the dough, Uday groaned as the smoke began to come out of the earth stove indicating the woods he had added were not properly dried. Letting out an exasperated sigh, Uday washed his hands and adjusted dry logs of wood in the earth stove lighting the fire again.

The young soldier could not help but pity himself for not having a beautiful wife as he mumbled looking towards the roof of his house indicating to the Almighty residing in the heaven, "O! God, see what is happening in your world. Even the monsters are getting a wife and here I am cooking for myself. When will I meet the girl who is meant for me?"

Uday sat on the ground all alone and looked at the half-burnt chapattis cooked by him. His mother had passed away two months ago and poor guy was just learning to cook.

The king who treated him like his son had offered him to eat at the palace but he despised the idea of being overly-dependent on his master. As soon as he took the morsel of his meal towards his mouth, he was startled by a loud knock on the wooden door of his quarters.

Wondering who was there looking for him late at night, Uday left his meal and attended the door.

The royal attendant who was standing outside and waiting for the commander-in-chief was suspicious at the visitor who claimed to have bought an urgent information for Uday Singh Chauhan. His suspicions rose to peak when the visitor handed him a letter wrapped in red cloth and tried to scurry away. As per the protocol, the messenger was held back by the royal guards and was to be presented in front of the commander-in-chief who opened the door.

"Your highness! A man from Pranathgarh has come to meet you. This is the letter he has brought for you." The royal attendant said monotonously handing the letter as the royal guards brought a young tribal lad looking at everyone with confusion written all over his face.

With warmth in his tone, Uday asked authoritatively, "What brings you here, young man?"

"I am being asked to give you the letter by my master's wife", with eyes bowed down, the innocent tribal answered timidly oblivious to the security protocol of the premises of royal palace. A smile crept on Uday's face, as he could relate the nervousness of the visitor of Pranathgarh with that of Nandini.

Despite knowing that she was someone's wife, he could not help but think about her. With a soft-corner in his heart for Nandini, Uday despised Vikrant Singh Rathore even more since he got to know that Nandini was his unhappy wife.

Uday nodded as he gestured him to wait while he read the letter.

Respected Uday Singh Chauhan

With due respect, I pay the best of my regards. I hope my letter finds you in the bliss of your health.

I heard something in the palace and I wanted to share with you. I, myself, could not comprehend the reason but I couldn't stop myself to write this.

My husband and my father-in-law were talking about attacking someone for which they need money. You wanted to help me so I want you to make sure that the one who is going to be attacked remain safe.

I don't have anything to give you in return but your words gave birth to hope inside me. I request you to keep that hope alive.

Thank you

Regards
Nandini from Pranathgarh

Uday Singh Chauhan read and re-read the letter as he tried to make sense of the words of Nandini, the timid girl who was fiercely requesting him to stop her husband in his ventures. He pitied the young girl as he realized Vikrant had truly pissed her off and spoilt her life. He wondered what had that alcoholic rogue done to deserve the innocent girl like Nandini.

A sudden emotion erupted inside him which compelled him to help Nandini as he realized the girl was infuriated at her namesake husband which was perhaps, the reason of her addressing herself by her first name.

He noticed the fact that Nandini did not want herself to be associated with Rathores or her husband, Vikrant Singh Rathore. Rubbing the bridge of his nose, he went inside his quarters and hurriedly wrote the response,

Honorable lady

I promise to keep your hope alive. Your wish is my command.

I would suggest you to keep on gathering information and send it to me as secretly as possible.

I promise I will not let your husband succeed in his venture if that is what you want.

Feel free to contact me and I will be there for you forever.

Regards
Uday Singh Chauhan

Having written this, Uday handed the neatly folded letter to the young lad from Pranathgarh biding him farewell.

His dinner which had turned cold was almost forgotten as he tried to connect the dots and realize that the treacherous Vikrant Singh Rathore and his guileful father, Ajeet Singh Rathore were planning to attack Vijaygarh and usurp the throne for which they surely needed money.

Uday Singh Chauhan knew it was difficult but he exhaled as he promised himself to help Nandini even if it meant protecting his opponent, the queen of Vijaygarh, Maharani Aparajita Singh Rathore.

For some unknown reason, the loyal commander-in-chief of Rajputana army of Shivgarh thought of hiding this information from his friend and the prince of Shivgarh, Yuvraj Veerbhadra Singh Rajput.

❤❤❤

Hi everyone

Hopefully you are doing good!
Sorry for the delay. From now on, I will try updating on alternate days atleast ♥️

Let's see, when Uday will get his bride 😉😉😉😉

Till then, shower your love on this story with your valuable votes and lovely comments. I will be waiting 😘😘😘😘😘

Hit the 🌟 button, please 😅

Love you all
💜