Chapter 46

“That unfateful night, I killed the warrior who killed my brother, Yuvraj Veerbhadra Singh Rajput”, Aparajita said glaring at the prince of Shivgarh who was looking at her with inquisitive eyes. Her eyes were bloodshot red and she was fuming in anger.

“Don’t you think your involvement in the war was equivalent to backstabbing us”, Veerbhadra said glaring at her. He could not digest the fact that her grandfather, the revered king, Maharaja Mahendra Singh Rajput was referred to as a mere warrior by the big-headed queen sitting beside him. For once, enraged Veerbhadra urged to strangle the queen to death but he smirked internally as he realized he had other plans for his goldfish.

“No, not at all, Yuvraj Veerbhadra Singh Rajput”, Maharani Aparajita Singh Rathore roared emphasizing over the name of the prince of Shivgarh and maintaining her dignity of a queen. Scowling at him, she said, “I fulfilled my duties of a royal Rathore. I entered the battle and killed my rivals. My brother was killed by someone and I avenged my revenge to protect my kingdom.”

Veerbhadra, for the first time, realized that the queen was saying the inevitable truth. He wondered he would have done the same if he were in her shoes.

His trance of thoughts were broken when Aparajita revealed, “Your army backstabbed us entering the royal palace and plundering us like barbarians. It is shameful for the Rajputana army to have attacked the helpless women and children in the palace. The queen of Vijaygarh, Maharani Manjughosha Devi sacrificed her life that day to protect her people.”

Aparajita was red in anger while Veerbhadra was shocked for once. He knew the values inculcated in the army of his kingdom and he was sure Rajputs could never stoop so low. In previous wars, the Rajputana army had always protected the dignity of women and children of the rival kingdom. He could sense a lump forming in his throat as he realized that the mother of the innocent queen was killed in that battle. He could understand the fathom of Aparajita’s pain and vulnerability. A question popped up in his mind, “Who tried to ruin the reputation of the then queen and her people while blaming everything on Rajputana army?”

Taking a deep breath and being shocked at the turn of events, Veerbhadra said, “Maharani Aparajita Singh Rathore, I can understand your pain of losing your mother but trust me, Rajputana army can never stoop so low. My grandfather, the old king, Maharaja Mahendra Singh Rajput was shrewd when it came to waging war at other kingdoms but he was a man of principles when it came to women and their dignity.”

Stating a matter of fact, Veerbhadra said, “It is not the Rajputana army who committed that sin, Aparajita.”

Aparajita was shocked for once. Concluding the prince was lying, she mocked him making sure she hit his ego, “Veer, you were a kid then. You don’t know what all your army did?”

Veerbhadra was irritated at the insult but for now, it was important for him to prove his army’s innocence. He sighed as he retorted shooting daggers at her, “I was twenty at that time. I was big enough to know the deeds of my people, my army and I am sure that Rajputana army is being framed.”

Scrunching her nose, Aparajita said, “For the prince who has his maiden victory at the age of twenty-five, twenty years is a part of childhood”, as she laughed humorlessly at him.
Veerbhadra was beyond infuriated.

He said, “Aparajita, my father was crowned as the king when my grandfather died. I never got a chance to prove myself because my father was himself a prince. However, it is not a matter of discussion.” He took a deep breath, as he said, “I, Yuvraj Veerbhadra Singh Rajput, takes an oath to find out the real culprits of that accident during the war”, looking into the saddened eyes of Aparajita that were fuming in anger.

“What if the culprit is Rajputana army, dear prince?” Maharani Aparajita Singh Rathore questioned the prince of Shivgarh in a mocking tone pissing off Veerbhadra.

Calming his anger, Veerbhadra said, “If that is the case, I will punish them too but Aparajita, I have full faith in my army.”

Genuinely confessing his move to remove the blot from the name of the prestigious Rajputana army of Shivgarh, Veerbhadra realized the idea of revenge was indeed, secondary because for now, it was important to dig the truth and find the real culprit who killed the then queen, Maharani Manjughosha Devi.

Aparajita said in a challenging tone, “Let’s see”, as she crossed her arms on her chest. She let out a defeated sigh as she remembered the screams of her mother when the rival soldiers stabbed the then queen continuously.

“You killed my grandfather, Aparajita. He was someone whom I loved the most. I am sorry for your brother but I miss my grandfather every day.” Veerbhadra said as the image of his joyous grandfather flashed in front of his eyes. A smile crept on his lips as he remembered his playful banters with his grandfather.

“Casualties are inevitable in a war, Veer”, Aparajita said relating to his pain. She had also lost her brother whom she missed each day. She sighed as she continued, “I killed a warrior that day who sacrificed his life for your kingdom. I was enraged because that warrior had killed my brother. My brother was indeed, a gem. I too miss him every day.”

Veerbhadra was dumbstruck at her truthful revelation as he admired her strength. Aparajita continued in a hoarse voice, “Unfortunately war ended and peace was maintained but neither can I meet my brother nor can you meet your grandfather ever.”

A lump formed in her throat as her eyes welled up with unshed tears. Taking a deep breath to compose herself, the queen said, “There are lot many people like us, Veer. There are mothers who lost their sons forever in the war and some wives lost their husbands. Some children have no one to call as ‘father’ because of that bloody battle.”

The prince of Shivgarh, Yuvraj Veerbhadra Singh Rajput could not help but agree with each and every word of the queen. He smiled faintly as he said, “You are right, Aparajita. We will maintain peaceful relations in our kingdoms.”

Looking promisingly, the queen nodded in affirmation.

“So how is the crown treating you?” Veerbhadra questioned the queen with an intention to uplift their moods. Aparajita just smiled as she narrated the happy moments of the royal court.

Both Veerbhadra and Aparajita forgot the track of time as they were involved in the discourse. The afternoon sun was at the verge to hide itself behind the mountains when Veerbhadra realized it was time for him to leave back to his kingdom. Heavy heartedly, he took his leave with a promise to meet the queen soon to which Aparajita just smiled.

❤❤❤

Hi everyone

Here's the new chapter of the story.😘😘😘😘

Please enjoy the update and shower your love on this story with your valuable votes and lovely comments 💚💛💚💛💚💛

How's the chapter?

Have a good day and please hit the 🌟 button, pretty please 😃😃😃😃

Love you all
💜