39. Coffee

The next morning, Scott was woken up by the sun shining brightly into his room. In his drunken stupor, he had forgotten to close the curtains and now he was wide awake. 

When he heard a noise coming from downstairs, Scott decided to get up. He put on his bathrobe and then walked downstairs where he found Mitch lounging on the sofa with a cup of coffee in his hand. 

“Good morning,” Scott said. 

“Good morning, Scott” Mitch replied. “You look like it’s been a long night.”

Scott chuckled and turned on the coffee machine. “You look well-fucked” he returned.

“Touché,” Mitch said. 

“Was he good?” Scott asked while he waited for the machine to brew a fresh cup of coffee.

Mitch chuckled. “You bet. If he hadn’t been, I would’ve left after the first time…” he explained. “It’s a pity that he’s leaving tonight. I would’ve gone for another round otherwise.”

Scott grinned. “Even though it’s against your maxim?” 

Mitch shrugged his shoulders. “We’re on vacation, he is from Denmark and he doesn’t know who I am. It was so nice to not feel like I am having a groupie in my bed. And damn he was so good” he took another sip from his coffee. “And you and Avi?”

Scott waited for his coffee and then sat down on the sofa next to his best friend. “We had some cocktails, talked a bit and then hit the dancefloor.”

“You hit the dancefloor? You and Avi?” Mitch asked. “And he said he didn’t want to go out.”

Scott shrugged his shoulders. “I think the alcohol helped? It definitely helped him loosen his body a bit. He really went for it.”

“I’m glad that you had fun” Mitch replied. 

“A lot of fun” Scott replied. He drank from his coffee and sighed. “I… I really like spending time with him. He’s showing me so many new things. Like meditation. I never thought it would be something for me, but we did it three times now and it really feels good and right to just spend a few minutes to myself. I asked him if we could do a course together. And he offered to show me how to play the guitar.”

Mitch furrowed his brows. “Do you think of him as a good friend?” 

“Yeah, I think so,” Scott replied. “Why are you asking?”

“Well, you kissed him once, Scott. And I just wanted to know if there’s something going on. Not because I’m curious, but because I’m your best friend and I want to support you. And I won’t judge” Mitch explained. 

“I just broke up with Nick, Mitch. I don’t think that I can think about anything but friendship” he said and shrugged his shoulders. “Maybe there is something. But I don’t know, Mitch. For now, I am just happy to be here.”

“I get that, Scott” Mitch replied. “Just… be careful, okay?”

Scott furrowed his brows. “I… of course. But why? Is anything wrong?”

“Not at all, Scott. I just don’t want you to rush into anything” the brunette explained. 

Scott smiled lightly. “I’m just enjoying my vacation, Mitch. I just want to have a drama-free time. No men, no sex just friends.”

Mitch smiled. “Good,” he said but made a mental notice to keep an eye out for the two men. “Anyway, I should take a shower. Are you up for breakfast any time soon?”

“Sure. I’m still waiting for Avi to get up, though, so we can meditate. Do we have any plans today? Otherwise, I would call a beach day for whoever is interested?”

“We don’t have any plans. I thought we’d be hungover from all the ouzo. But I’m surprisingly well” Mitch explained. 

Scott chuckled. “You probably sweat out most of the alcohol with the Dane” he explained and slowly got up after finishing his coffee. 

“True. And you’ll go and breathe the hangover away or whatever it is you’re doing” Mitch said as he put both cups into the sink. “I’ll see you later.”

Scott went upstairs and out onto the balcony where he was greeted by a sleepy Avi. “Good morning. You don’t look too well” he remarked.

“Mmhm” Avi just hummed. “Headache. But I already took a pill and drank a lot of water.” He yawned and stretched his arms out over his head. “But you’re looking happy and very much awake.”

Scott nodded. “Got up a bit earlier, couldn’t sleep. And then I had a coffee with Mitch.”

“Was he already up or still up” Avi wanted to know as he sat down on the floor. 

Scott sat down next to him in his usual spot. “I don’t know if he slept, but he just came home. We thought about having a beach day today if you want to join”

“I don’t know, yet. I just want to get comfortable somewhere and relax. Maybe I’ll stay here on the patio with my book…” Avi explained as he took his phone to set a timer. 

Scott smiled slightly. “Sure, whatever you feel comfortable with,” he said and then closed his eyes and fell silent.

~

A few uneventful yet relaxing days passed which the five spent alternating between the beach, the city and the amazing spa their hotel offered. Of course they still had a few things planned like exploring the island by bike and the sunrise hike.

But first up came the yacht trip, which they all were very excited about.

They had booked the yacht for the whole day, boarding in Mykonos in the morning and only returning after sunset with stops for lunch and dinner on different islands. 

"I'm so excited," Avi said as he sat down at the table on their terrace after he and Scott had meditated. They had ordered a light breakfast from room service instead of going to the restaurant to save some time. 

"Me too" Mitch said. "Where's Scott?"

"Oh he's still in the bathroom" Avi replied and took a sip from his tea. 

"Mmhm…" Mitch hummed. He then looked up to the balcony to make sure Scott was really inside, before he spoke up: "How are you feeling about everything, Avi?"

Avi smiled slightly. He knew that this was about Scott, not about his current state of mind. "Good," he said. "I am glad that he is so carefree and smiling. I really like it when he smiles and his eyes get all bright and sparkly." Avi stopped there and blushed. 

Mitch just brushed it off with a smile. "You know, I love seeing him happy, too" he said a bit softer because he saw that the blonde was running down the stairs. 

"Sorry, I hope you didn't have to wait for too long," Scott said as he sat down next to Mitch. "Forgot sunscreen. Are you all lathered up already, Avi?"

"I am. Just need someone to do my back, but I won't take off my shirt before we're on the yacht" the bearded man replied. 

"I'll volunteer," Scott replied with a grin on his face, before he turned to Mitch. "He forgot his sunscreen when we went to the beach the other day. If I hadn't asked about his back, he'd probably have third degree burns."

Mitch chuckled. "It wouldn't have been that bad, Scott, but I'm glad that you're taking care of him" he said. 

While Scott just nodded and started to cut into his pancake, Avi noticed the undertone in his voice and he looked at the smaller brunette confused. 

But Mitch just smiled and shook his head, before he started on his breakfast as well.

~~~~