64. Sorry

"Please."

Avi didn't think at this moment. He just texted Scott back, quickly, and then got on his way. He was nervous and excited at the same time. Scott wanted to see him. Scott needed him. Even though it was rather late in the evening, the streets were full. Too full for Avi's liking, because it was slowing him down.

The bearded man parked his car in Scott's driveway and then walked up to the front door. He was more nervous than he thought he would be, but he swallowed it down and then rang the doorbell.

Scott opened only seconds later and when Avi saw him, his heart ached for him. "Hey, Scott," he said softly to the blonde. He tried to ignore his red-rimmed and glossy eyes and just smiled.

"Hi..." Scott said. "Errm... come in?"

"Sure" Avi returned and followed Scott into the kitchen. It was tidy except for the two plates and cutlery in the sink.

"Mitch was here and we cooked something..." Scott explained. "Do you want some coffee or tea?"

Avi nodded. "Tea would be nice," he said and waited as Scott prepared everything. "Thank you."

"You're welcome" Scott returned. "I'm sorry for disturbing you, by the way. You look like you were already getting ready for bed..."

Avi looked down on himself. He was wearing a well-fitting pair of short sweat shorts and a simple shirt Scott probably knew because he might have worn it during their vacation. "Oh..." he said. "Well, I was just having a cup of tea and yes, I was planning to go to bed afterwards but I don't mind, Scott. You called and here I am."

"Why?"

Avi took a deep breath. "Let's sit down for this talk, Scott. I feel that it's going to take a while, hmm?"

Scott shrugged his shoulders, but he left the kitchen and headed for the living room. He sat down on the shorter end of the L-shaped sofa while Avi sat down on the longer end, close to Scott, but not too close.

"How are you, Scott?" Avi asked after they had been silent for a moment.

"I don't know. Everything is too much. I feel like ever since we came home things have been going downhill and the only good moments were the dates I had with you. And even though my therapist advised me to break up with you, I just couldn't take it anymore" Scott said. "It's just so fucked up."

Avi listened patiently, even though it was hard to understand Scott because he was talking so quietly. "It may be a messed up situation and I do have a strong opinion about that therapist of yours, but I am here now. I can't make it all okay, but you're not alone."

Scott nodded slowly. "Yeah..." he looked up at Avi. "But why are you here? I broke up with you with a text."

Avi stretched out his hand and took Scott's. "You did. But... you weren't yourself, Scott. You still are influenced by Nick and what he did to you and your therapist as well. I don't know what he said, but you believed him" he said softly.

"I did. I still like to think that he might help me because he is really nice, but I am going to tell him tomorrow that I can't do it without you" Scott said and then stopped suddenly. "I mean you... do you still want to be with me?"

"Yes," Avi said. "Of course I do. I knew that this relationship wouldn't be easy for both of us, at least not until you worked through your trauma. And I am here for it, Scott. For the hard times and the easy times."

Scott felt warm and comforted by Avi's words. He felt a few stray tears running over his cheeks and smiled slightly when he felt Avi's thumb on his skin, wiping them away. "Thank you, Avi. And I'm sorry."

"I know, Scott. And I accept your apology" he said and then pulled Scott into a soft hug. "Okay?"

Scott nodded and buried his nose into Avi's low bun. It wasn't fully dry and smelled of cocos and sandalwood. A smell he connected with warmth and comfort. "Yes."

Avi held Scott for a long while, calming the blonde and himself as well. It felt good and even though a part of his brain said that he should've been angry with Scott for what he did, his gut told him to just let it be. It probably wasn't the healthiest decision, but Avi didn't want to put more stress on the blonde.

"I'm not taking this for granted, Avi" Scott said as if he had read Avi's thoughts.

Avi nodded. He loosened the embrace so he was able to look into his blue eyes. "I know, Scott," he said softly. "This is why I'm here."

"Mmhm" Scott hummed and then he fell silent.

"Can I ask a question?" Avi spoke up after a while.

"Sure..."

"Why did you text me tonight?"

Scott sighed and then grabbed his phone and opened his note app. "My journal," he said. "Look."

Avi took the device and just skimmed through the entries. He noticed immediately how much Scott had written down after he had broken up with him compared to how little there was on the days before. "That's a lot..."

Scott nodded. "Yeah," he said and shrugged his shoulders. "That makes it seem like I just texted you to feel better." He grimaced. "Sorry."

Avi shook his head. "No, it's fine, Scott. Of course, you asked me to come over because it might make you feel better. And in your situation, it is perfectly fine. You broke up because you thought that you'd need to be alone to work through your trauma. Now you realised that it's different. And here we are" he explained.

This time it was Scott who pulled Avi into an embrace, holding him against his chest. "I still don't get how I deserve you," he said. "I would have understood if you had blocked me or told me to screw myself."

Avi shook his head. "No. Not in this situation" he mumbled into Scott's shirt. He stifled a yawn and sighed softly.

"You're tired, hmm?" Scott asked while he ran his fingers over the brunette's head.

The bearded man nodded. "I am. Was out in nature with Kirstie and the huskies and then we cooked dinner..."

"Do you want to go home, Avi? Or..."

Avi smiled. "If you want me to stay, I will. Haven't been sleeping well..."

"Why?"

"I was worried about you."

"I'm sorry..." Scott said once more.

"It's okay. We're here now, both tired and ready to sleep" Avi said and sat up. He grabbed his now lukewarm tea and drank it quickly, grinning when Scott did the same.

They were in Scott's bed within ten minutes, both eager to cuddle up with one another, knowing that, for the first time in days, they'd be able to sleep right through the night.

~~~~