63. Huskies

"Good morning, Avi. Mitch told me what happened with Scott. I'm so sorry. If you need anything, someone to talk to, company, food or dog cuddles, please let me know."

Avi smiled when he got the message from Kirstie. Even though he didn't like being one to ask for help, he decided to ask if she was free for a walk with the dogs.

"Of course, Avi! I'll pick you up later and we'll drive out to the forest? Let's say at 12?"

"That's a plan. Thank you, Kirstie. I can't wait to see you and the huskies again."

While he was waiting for the blonde woman to arrive, Avi looked through social media. He didn't want to admit it, but he was secretly hoping to see anything new from Scott. But the blonde hadn't posted anything in days.

Avi was, of course, still worried about him, but he knew that Mitch was handling the situation. Also, Avi wasn't sure about how Scott would react to a text from him, so he decided to keep quiet. He meditated once again before Kirstie arrived to sort his thoughts and by the time she arrived, he was even smiling.

~

"So..." Kirstie said as they were each walking with one of the huskies on their leashes. "How are you?"

Avi shrugged his shoulders. "Coping, I guess" he returned. "It sucks, but I can't do anything besides waiting. I should be used to it by now, but it hurts that he didn't break up because he wanted to but because his therapist told him to" he explained and then sighed softly. "But I know that Mitch is taking care of Scott and that there's nothing I can do right now."

"Did you think about confronting him?" Kirstie asked.

"Of course I did. More than once. But according to Mitch, he isn't well right now and I don't know if me being there would put more stress on him. So I'll wait it out. Mitch will talk to his own therapist today and Scott has his next appointment tomorrow. So I hope that I have news tomorrow" Avi returned and stopped when Pascal was sniffing something.

"Oh man," Kirstie said. "I really thought that things were looking up for you and Scott."

Avi grimaced. "Me too," he said. "But for now we'll hope that this is just a bump in the road. I mean I know that he is happy with me. Mitch told me. He just has to realise that he wants me back. I'm standing by and I'll be ready for him once he is ready, too."

Kirstie smiled brightly. "I am glad you're thinking this way."

"How could I think differently, Kirstie. This is not his fault. He still is under the influence of Nick and right now under the influence of his therapist as well" Avi replied.

Kirstie hummed. "With what I've been hearing from his therapist and the whole situation, I just hope that this is a huge misunderstanding because this sounds a lot as if the therapist is rather toxic..."

Avi sighed softly. "You're right," he said and wanted to add something when he heard his phone vibrate with a new message. He took it out and smiled slightly when he saw that it was from Mitch.

"Hi, Avi. Just came from my therapy session. We talked about Scott for the bigger part and my therapist is on your side. She said that, of course, a new relationship should be approached slowly and carefully, but since you are aware of his situation and giving Scott time and space while encouraging him to go through therapy. The plan is now to wait until after the therapy tomorrow and then I'll try talking to him carefully. We need to find out if the therapist is a good fit for him. Of course, I don't think so, but my therapist said that it could've been a misunderstanding and a good therapist would see that Scott is in a worse state and try to find ways to help him get better.
Uff, that was a long one. I really hope you're alright? Take care and call me if you need anything. I mean it."

While he was reading, Avi tilted his phone so Kirstie could read the text as well.

"Of course Mitch is taking care of everything" she said with a smile on her face.

Avi hummed. "He is a wonderful friend indeed," he said. "Let me text him back real quick?"

Kirstie nodded and took Pascal's leash while the bearded man was writing.

"Thank you for texting me, Mitch. I'm fine, I'm out with Kirstie and the huskies, we're enjoying nature together. I hope that everything turns out fine for Scott. Are you going there today? If you do, just let me know how he is doing, okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just stopping at home and then I'll go and check on him. I'll keep you updated with everything."

"I know and I'll try to be patient. Bye, Mitch."

"Bye Avi."

~

After a long walk, Kirstie and Avi cooked for themselves and Ben. Dinner was fun and Avi was glad that the couple didn't pity him too much, but instead tried to distract him. It was a good day, despite everything and Avi was happy and tired once he got back home and he hoped for a good night's sleep to tie him over until he would get news from Mitch.

The bearded man took a shower and prepared a cup of tea for his nightly ritual and sat down without his phone as he usually did. But since his phone was lying on the kitchen counter while he was sitting outside on the porch to enjoy the fresh evening air, he was able to hear the vibrations announcing text messages. He didn't get up for the first and second, but when he heard the sound a third time he was alarmed.

When he grabbed his phone only seconds later, he gasped. Scott had texted him:

"Avi? I fucked up. I keep thinking about the message I sent to you."

"It's like... I know that I maybe did the right thing when I broke up, but I keep thinking about it."

"Everything is so hard right now and I know that you'd be able to make it easier for me, but I hurt you. I'm sorry."

The messages were a hot mess and Avi didn't know what Scott wanted and needed from him. Still, he replied immediately:

"I'm right here, Scott. Do you want me to come over? If you want to talk it's better if we do it face to face. I can be there in twenty."

Avi felt his heart beating loudly in his chest and it felt forever until he got the reply:

"Please."

~~~~