Epilogue: Sunflowers

Scott was humming to himself as he stirred in the pan. He was listening to music over his headphones and therefore was quick to accept the incoming call from his best friend.

"Hello, Mitchy," he said cheerfully. "How are you?"

"Stressed" the other man replied. "Need your help."

"Alright, I'm listening. What's up?" Scott turned down the heat so he was able to focus on his best friend without burning dinner.

"What is the acceptable amount of money to spend on a no-gift anniversary?" Mitch asked. "Francis' and mine is coming up and somehow we decided that we would go on a nice vacation together instead of buying presents. But I still want to get something for him."

"Mmhm, I get that. I'd probably feel the same. Maybe some flowers?"

"Yeah... I saw this pendant when I was shopping, he'd love it" Mitch spoke up.

Scott chuckled softly. "How much was it?"

"You know that I didn't look at the tag. But probably too expensive," Mitch said and sighed. "I'll file it away for his birthday."

Scott grinned. "Good idea."

"Mmhm..." Mitch hummed. "Anyway what are you up to?"

"I'm cooking dinner for Avi and me" Scott returned.

"Nice. What are you having?"

"Oh, we're having a really good filet, rosemary potatoes and oven-roasted veggies," Scott explained.

"That's a feast," Mitch said. "Any special occasion?"

"Well you're still planning your anniversary and mine is today" Scott commented.

"Already? Jesus. Time flies" Mitch replied.

Scott couldn't help but laugh. "Your anniversary is coming up, too so why are you so surprised?"

"I really don't know," Mitch said. "And it's true, you and Avi have a few weeks more. What are you giving him?"

Scott chuckled. "Well first of all we don't have a no present agreement. And he's getting an instrument. A mandolin. He's been eyeing it for weeks now, but he claims he doesn't need it. And together with a personalised new journal and a pen it's a nice present, I think" he explained.

Mitch groaned. "This is perfect. And I have to find something meaningful for free basically" he said and sighed. "But I will. And now I stop bothering you with my whining. You have dinner to prepare and I don't want you to burn the food. Enjoy the evening and I'll see you soon. Bye, Scott."

"You'll find something for sure" Scott replied. "And thank you, I need to focus now or something will go wrong. Bye, Mitchy." He ended the call and looked at the clock, smiling when he noticed that Avi would've been there any minute. So he checked the oven once more and then went into the dining room to make sure that the table was set perfectly.

"I'm home, Love."

Scott was happy when he heard the familiar deep voice. And he was glad that Avi was home. Scott's place wasn't Avi's home per se, they hadn't moved in together, but they were staying with one another all the time and had gotten into a rhythm where they stayed at Scott's place if they were working in the city and headed out to Avi's place for the weekends. Eventually, they would move in together, it was something Scott was already looking forward to, but for the moment it was a good solution.

"Right here, dear" Scott called back from the kitchen. He turned around and smiled brightly when Avi stepped into the room. "Hi."

"Hi, Scott," Avi said and the two hugged and kissed.