⚔Chapter 5: Minute meets the hour

A U T H O R

"Where were you?" Levi asked. Heather was spacing out for a few moments after what happened. Something unexplainable happened and she has no idea how she should react to it. "Your grandmother looked extremely embarrassed when you didn't show up."

"Victoria locked me in the basement..! How am I supposed to come? Good thing someone let me out or I'll miss the whole party. She's really getting on my nerves. I just can't be under the same roof with her." Levi sighed and shook his head.

Not only Heather hates Victoria but Levi as well. He knows Victoria too. She's one of those girls who would keep hitting on him even if he showed no interest in her so many times. The other just won't stop her obsessions. "She'll blow up on you again. What do you plan to do?"

"Grandma blows up every time. I'll just tell her the truth and hopefully, she'll believe me. She needs to know how rotten that girl is." Heather once again remembered what happened earlier at the stairs and had the urge to ask him. "Hey, um... Have you noticed something suspicious thirty minutes ago?"

"The only suspicious thing is why the croissants are flat as paper. Who is your chef? I need to speak to him." Heather immediately slapped his arm and glared. "What? Were you talking about the people?"

"Obviously? You know, back in the basement, I just found the key inside the keyhole without anyone outside. Then when I got here, I saw something outside running so I went to check. I really thought I was being very imaginative again but when I was about to trip and fall, someone caught me and helped me stand. When I turned around, no one was there. I think I'm going mad, Levi." She worriedly said and drank her cocktail. "What do you think?"

"Yeah, you're right. You should consider seeing a doctor." He was only trying to tease her but Heather took it seriously. This has never happened for years but unusual things start to happen again.

The party ended and Heather thanked her guests for celebrating with her. Victoria looked at her, wondering how she got out when she did her best to keep anyone from coming to the basement.

"We need to talk," Helena said and pulled Heather to her room. "What were you thinking? The guests were waiting for your entrance but you didn't show up. Can you imagine the scandal you caused? 'Princess of Miraine, late on her own birthday.' This will be the headline of the daily news! You'll be the kingdom's laughing stock!"

"Victoria locked me in the basement. She took Poppy to lure me there." Helena sighed and crossed her arms. "Believe me, grandmother. I would've come if it weren't for her and her tricks. She caused this!"

"You don't dare to raise your voice at me! Let me remind you that Victoria went to finishing school at the age of six. She was taught proper etiquette and was trained to be a fine lady. She is one of the outstanding ladies in her class. You're always putting the blame on her!" Heather was taken aback. Yes, she knew this was gonna happen...again.

"Just because she went to finishing school doesn't mean you can always believe her. I'm your granddaughter yet you never listened to anything I say. When was the last time you believed me? Never. Not even once. I'm telling you the truth, grandma."

"Oh really? Then can you explain to me how you got out of the basement if she truly did what you said? Don't even think about lying, Heather."

And there goes her last chance to prove herself. What happened back there can't be explained. Helena will think she's swimming in fairytales again. "I-I broke the lock. No one could hear me so I had to figure something out myself."

Helena raised a brow and dragged her to the basement. Heather was sweating. She did keep on hitting the wooden door with her shoe but she never broke the lock. Helena stood in front of the door and looked at the lock. "There seems to be a key here. I thought you broke it to get out?"