⚔Chapter 70: Time slows down

A U T H O R

"Where did you come from? You're all soaked again." Heather quickly went inside the bathroom to change. "Seriously, Heather. I'm starting to think you're having a swim with other kids without telling me."

"If I went for a swim, then I won't look miserable like this. Who goes for a swim in a uniform?" Heather left the bathroom after changing. "I'm sorry I can't tell you anything, Maya. I made a promise to keep it a secret." She sat beside Maya and pouted. "Can't you let it slide?"

"Don't give me that face, Heather Kim," Maya said and laid down on her bed. "I won't ask again. But, please... I keep repeating this to you. Look after yourself when you're having your little adventures. If I can't stop you from running away, at least try to be careful."

"Aye aye, captain!" Heather laid down beside her, hugging her friend with a giggle.

"Oh? Why are you suddenly all clingy?" Maya gasped and lifted her head. "No way... Did someone feed your tarits again?"

"Nope. I'm just happy. I found out that I'm not an ordinary human, and I have powers too." Maya laid down again and listened. "I can see hidden things that other creatures couldn't. It's marvelous, isn't it?"

"I haven't heard about that skill before, but it's better than having nothing." Heather chuckled and snuggled down on Maya's shoulder. "You're creeping me out! It tickles!" Heather just laughed and closed her eyes. 

It's already dark and cozy. The two have nothing else to do, and sleeping is their only option. 

"They're asleep," Chase quietly said while he and Firo were waiting outside the slightly opened door. They had bags of food in their hands to share with the girls, but they might have to cancel it for another day. "And they didn't lock the door?" Chase quietly went inside and locked the door. He shrunk and passed through the bottom, then returned to his normal size. "No treats for them, then."  

"You know, we should do that sometimes," Firo said, confusing Chase. "The cuddle."

"Ew...!" Chase exclaimed with a disgusted look on his face. "Brother, are you high?" Firo jumped on his back, but Chase quickly shook him off. "Get rid of it. Scram!"

--

"I still can't understand why I'm the only one she asked to clean this darn library! She really hates me, and I don't need her to tell me that. Ugh!!" Heather complained as she arranges the books alphabetically on the shelves. 

Jadis asked Heather to do her a favor by cleaning the school's library. Heather had no idea that she would work all by herself. It's still dangerous outside, but Jadis thinks Heather's too trivial to be protected. 

Heather carried a box of files from Jadis's office. She asked her to burn them outside, and she's on her way to do what she's told. "Berta said white witches are the sanest witches in all Parailla," She said, talking to the paper in her hand. "Well, why is Jadis acting like the wicked witch of the west? Is she half?" She emptied the box and placed the files inside a barrel. She took out the matchbox from her pocket and lighted a match. "I don't know why she can't do this herself." She dropped the match inside the barrel and picked up the empty box from the ground.

She was about to turn around and leave, but she suddenly noticed the label on one of the folders. "Students' Report Cards," She read. "Why would she throw these away?" Heather took the whole folder and dropped it. She stepped on the flaming folder to put out the fire and picked it up again. "I won't get in trouble if I take a quick scan. She's burning them anyway." She looked around, and when she was sure no one was there, she returned to the library, carrying the folder with her.