⚔Chapter 49: The turning potion

A U T H O R

"Wow..." Heather exclaimed the moment she got in. She canceled the peeking plan and decided to enter.

The cabin is wide and bright with townsmen enjoying their night. There's a long table with various delicacies. There are roasted chickens, crackers, pies, and wine. Heather gulped seeing all the delicious-looking dishes laid on the table. Her stomach suddenly grumbled with all the pleasing smell of food. She looked at the right corner and read the slanted board, hammered on the wall beside it, Free Drinks and Desserts.

"That's it. That's where I should be." She said with a wide smile and sat on a stool. 

"Good evening miss! Is there anything you like?" The old barista said so enthusiastically.

"Is everything in this corner really free? I don't have to pay for anything?" She asked.

"Well, of course! You can eat all you want."

Heather furrowed her brows. "Mister, there was one family I encountered earlier and the mother was starving and sick. Her son had to do something terrible to feed themselves. Can't they come and eat here?" 

"Starving? But not a single Paraillan starved since the reign of the current king and queen," he answered. "I'm afraid what you saw earlier was a mere illusion."

"I-Illusion? Who would put out such thing?" 

"...an illusion... or creatures who belong in the lost village." Heather widened her eyes at his answer. The lost village? Acquives? "Here," He said and dragged a bowl of different-colored brownies towards her. "These are the treats we offer for free. I'll go get you a drink." He said and went inside the door behind him.

"Oh, good heavens." She didn't waste a second and started munching on them.

Meanwhile, Firo left the pancake place and searched for her in the nearby stores. "Where is she? She said she would just stroll around." He came to ask a crowd about her whereabouts. "I'm sorry to bother you, good sir. Have you seen a girl in Stone Academia's uniform? She has brown and curly hair with a Rainbow Gardenia in her hand."

"That lady? She went after a thief and went that way." The villager pointed to a narrow opening between two stores.

"Thank you, sir." Firo immediately went through the narrow path and noticed a cabin not far. "No, no, not this place." He ran towards the door and pulled the handle to get it to open but it was locked. "Heather?!"

"Hey!" Two men came with their pitchforks. "What are you doing?!"

"Open the door right now." He calmly said and backed away. The two just looked at each other and chuckled. "You think you can make fun of me?" He said in an annoyed tone.

"Why?" One came and stood in front of him. "What are you gonna do?"

The loud door opening surprised everyone inside the cabin. The two men stood on both sides as Firo make his way to look for her. "Heather!" He called when he found her sipping a drink from a glass. He quickly took it from her and threw it away. 

"Oh?" She looked at his face and tried to recognize him. "I'm sure I've seen you befo--" She suddenly burped and lost her balance on the stool. He came forward and caught her from falling.