⚔Chapter 60: Time in a puzzle

A U T H O R

"Here you go, Wendy," Maya said and handed her a glass of orange juice. "Where's Heather? I left her right here." She wondered and looked around. "Did you see her leave?"

"I don't know. I just got here a second ago." Wendy said and went to join the others in the tent.

Maya furrowed her brows. "Did she wander by herself again? Oh, for goodness's sake... Heather?!" She called, bringing a plate of pastries she got for her friend. "Chase! Chase." She called and ran towards the guy. "Have you seen Heather? She was just by the river when I left to get these."

"She went on her own again?" Maya sighed and looked around. 

She suddenly saw Flake running and jumping to the water. "Flake!!" Gracie shouted, getting everyone's attention. "Mother!!" She called and ran to find Jadis and get help. 

"Is he crazy?!" Chase and Maya went to the lake and looked down. "What is he thinking?" Chase asked and leaned closer. 

"Don't tell me..." Maya's realization hit her. "Heather?!" She shouted in worry.

Flake swam deeper into the water, hoping he could find a trace of her. It's too dark down there. Even if I go, I won't find her. He thought but he didn't want to give up. He heard a loud screeching sound echo somewhere in the water. He didn't have to think again to know what it was.  

He swam faster as the sound gets louder. He's getting closer to where it was. His eyes grew wide when he saw the lake furwin carrying Heather in its arms. She was trying to break free, but she eventually lost consciousness. He quickly swam towards the creature and tried pulling Heather away from it.

Heather felt someone helping her and narrowly opened her eyes to see what was happening. She saw Flake's face and somehow felt reassured. She was about to close her eyes when she saw a glimpse of pink, glowing light. She wanted to stay awake but she was too exhausted to see everything happen. 

"What's happening?! Where did you say Flake went?" Jadis asked with several magfiers behind her.

"Into the water. I think he's with our friend." Maya said, pointing at the water.

"That little rulebreaker?" Before she could order the magfiers to get them, Flake emerged from the water, carrying Heather with him. "Flake!" Jadis exclaimed and the magfiers helped them get to land. "Oh, you poor child! You could've just asked for help."

He didn't spare a glance at Jadis and laid Heather on the ground. "Heather." He called to wake her up but there was no response. He was going to perform a chest compression when she suddenly coughed out the water and panted. 

Heather opened her eyes and looked at the ones around her in a very blurry vision. "She's awake. Take her to one of the tents, now!" Jadis ordered and the magfiers carried her to an empty tent. Maya, Chase, and Flake came with them. Heather's consciousness only lasted a few seconds. She closed her eyes and fell senseless again. 

Hours passed,

"Well, you should've come here a bit sooner, and didn't wait for Chase to tell you that she was in trouble." She heard Flake arguing.

"No, you shouldn't have let her out of your sight. You cared about her, didn't you?" Is that Firo? She thought and fluttered her eyes open.