⚔Chapter 37: Between the lines

A U T H O R

Pyre was called to get his shining trophy but the poor guy still couldn't process what happened five seconds ago. He had his prize in this hand but his head is facing Heather's direction. She was leaning on the cage's walls with an unreadable expression. He can't guess what she's thinking about. It's like she's confused, surprised, mad, disappointed, and relieved at the same time. Firo had questions as well and he couldn't wait to get his answers.

Echo was also called to get his silver medal. He didn't have his cloak removed so his identity is still kept a mystery. 

Heather only stood there and sighed. She's disappointed but what can she do? She thought there were only two outcomes during that last minute: Fifth place and champion. She didn't think of the possibility of getting disqualified. She looked at the other players who were awarded and scoffed. "What are the odds? I could've won too." She bitterly said and waited for the awarding to end with a visible frown.

"I express my sincere gratitude to all the players for giving their all in this game of Hinker. Use your skills for the good and do remember, being the most powerful doesn't always mean you will claim your victory in the end. So, cheer up. There is always room for improvement." Eva Lee said and the crowd applauded. 

The players are freed from the cage and reunited with their friends. Maya and Chase quickly squeezed themselves through the large crowd and met Heather outside the Silver Hall. "Are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?" Maya worriedly approached her. Heather's lips curved to a smile realizing that Maya cares about her.

"I'm physically all right but my ego is harshly bruised," Heather answered and turned around. "Where the hell is Firo?!" She angrily shouted with her brows furrowed. "That moron didn't even recognize me. He's the famous Pyre but where was he?"

"I think Firo's not coming out that way. Everyone already knows who he is so crowds would be after him starting today. Even I'm a big fan of Pyre but that ass didn't show any sign. I'm hurt but I get him too." Chase explained. "Let's just wait for him at the dorm. He'll be there for sure."

The three of them left and returned to the dorm to meet Firo. They waited outside his room but after a few minutes, Flake was the first one who came in his school uniform. "Congrats on losing." He said as he passed by Heather with a playful smirk. She held herself back and didn't bother playing his game. Flake went inside the room and slammed the door shut.

"Jerk." Heather weakly kicked the door and crossed her arms. "As if that vampire won a spot... He has nothing to brag about!"

"Calm your wits down, Heather. It's just Flake. That's how he is." Chase reminded.

They stood there a little longer and finally, Firo went upstairs running. "Oh look, it's Pyre, yay~ Can I get an autograph? I'm a big fan." Heather sarcastically said. "You must be so happy because you won. Go on! Don't be shy. Show us how happy you are."

"I'm not, Heather. I get that you're mad because of what happened but I assure you, I wouldn't have done that if only I knew you were Psyche. To be honest--" He stopped and looked at Chase and Maya who were feeling left out and listening at the back. "Can you give us a moment?"

"Oh, sure, sure." Chase said. The two left, leaving Heather and Firo alone.

"To be honest...what?"