⚔Chapter 69: Her hidden numbers

A U T H O R

"Hey, it's Snow's book!" Heather exclaimed. They were the only ones inside the library, so no one would scold her noisiness. She took out the book and sat beside Flake on the couch. The guy already had a book in his hand. Heather took too long to find one after seeing tons of books she wanted to read.

"Why do you want to read that?" Flake asked with his eyes on the pages. "It's boring and complicated."

"It's got the complicated, that's why I'm interested in it." Flake quietly sighed and continued reading his book. "Did you know that Snow's a guy? Firo told me that Snow's a he. I thought it was a girl because of the name." She looked at him, but Flake didn't say anything and focused on reading. "Tsk, tsk, tsk. If Snow's book is a human, it would be you." She said and left the couch. 

Heather looked around outside the library and noticed a dead tree with its roots on the stream. She looked up to see its branches and found small, different-colored lanterns hanging. She left the book on the open window and walked towards it.

"Why does this one look different?" She asked as she carefully climbs it. She placed her feet on one big branch and reached for another. When she was almost at the top, she noticed an opening on the tree's trunk. Her naughty curiosity kicked in again, and it made her think of entering it.

The opening looked like it was hit by something, creating its not-so-clean shape. She ducked and went inside. The floor looked unstable. She kept hearing it creaking whenever she takes a step, but she didn't mind. She looked at its thin wooden walls with dead vines hugging it. 

"What's with this room?" She asked and noticed strips of paper stuck between the vines. She moved closer and pulled out one of them. "War in the Unlighted Forest," She read, then returned it between the vines. She took another and read what is written. "Twins; one went mad," Heather furrowed her brows. "What are these notes?" She took another two and looked at the writing. "Past misunderstood," She read, then looked at the other. "The girl who had lost her story shall return." She read and returned them immediately. "Why do these sound familiar?"

"Heather?" She went to the entrance and found Flake looking at her from below. "You're floating?"

"Floating? I'm on a tree, Flake Kim. Don't be blind." Flake slowly shook his head in disbelief. "You know what? Just come here and help me understand what I'm seeing."

"I can't even understand what I'm seeing," He quietly told himself and flew towards her. "You're saying that you're in a tree?"

"Why are you asking me that? Don't you have eyes to use?"

"Heather, I'm serious. I don't see any tree. You're just floating," He said in a terrified voice. "And the bridge too. There's no bridge, but we could cross the stream. Why are you the only one who can see that?"

"You mean you can't see this dead tree and this room?" Flake shook his head. "That's strange..." She took the papers from the wall and showed them to him. "How about these? Can you see what I'm holding?" Flake looked at her hands and shook his head again. "And you're dead serious? Come to think of it, this hasn't happened once. When Firo brought me to Parailla, I could see the signs pointing to the village, but he couldn't. I also read a note in a Rainbow Gardenia, but he couldn't see it too."

"What if this is your skill? But, it isn't included in the books."

Heather looked down and thought. "There's only one creature who could tell us what this is."