⚔Chapter 20: Change in time

A U T H O R

The school bells chimed. It's finally the last subject for the day. Heather stood from her broken chair and left the room without looking at the others. She quickly went to buy a drink from the cafeteria. She chugged on the water as she watched the students rushing to their classes. With a blank stare, she found Flake spaced out in the middle of the hall. "What's wrong with him?"

She left the cafeteria and walked towards him. The hall was left empty and it was just the both of them alone. Heather looked around to find anything that caused him to stop walking but there wasn't anything. 

Being the nosy person she is, she walked closer and stood before him. "Flake? Are you there?" She was about to touch his face when he moved and caught her hand. Heather's eyes widened and a gasp left her lips. "I guess you're awake now."

"What are you doing?" He asked while still holding her wrist. "Don't try anything funny."

"I wasn't doing anything now let go." She commanded and Flake immediately followed. He walked away as if nothing happened and made a turn to the right. Heather furrowed her brows and crossed her arms, thinking of what just happened. "That guy's weird... Is he sick in the head or something?"

She heard the bells chime again, indicating that the class is starting. Heather shook her suspicions off for a moment and followed where Flake went which is their next classroom. 

The last class for the day is Skill Control. Most say that this, by far, is the most complicated and scary subject in school. Not only the activities are tough but the teacher, herself, is thrice tougher and stricter than the rest of the others. 

"I'm Ms. Eva Lee, your Skill Control teacher. As you all know, this subject helps you improve and control your skills. With that being said, who among you can properly control and show their true power? Do step forward." Eva Lee said without a single change in her cold expression.

Heather looked down. She doesn't have a skill and she's just a visitor. As much as she wanted to impress the whole class, she had to stay lowkey and watch the others' performance. 

A student stepped out and she looks confident. Eva smiled and walked around the girl. "So, I guess one brave soul has stepped out. What's your skill, child?"

"I can control the wind with both of my hands. I've been learning ways to properly control this skill for years now. I'm confident that I could pull this off." Eva nodded and went to a corner.

"Very well. Let's see if you really learned something. Just a reminder, don't humiliate yourself with that strong pride and courage of yours. Remember that bravery can result in misfortune too. Show us how strong you could get." She crossed her arms and gestured the girl to start.

Heather lifted her face and watched. The girl swayed her right hand and the wind coming from the window slowly came in her direction. She raised her arm and turned her index finger in a spiraling manner. A little whirlwind started forming, causing the whole class to give mixed reactions. Heather was surprised but not entertained. I think she can do better. She can make herself fly in the air if she can really control it. She thought and kept watching.

 The girl gestured the whirlwind to stop and the whole class clapped their hands. They were impressed but Eva wasn't. She laughed and slowly clapped her hands, a sign of sarcasm. "Is that all you could do? A little whirlwind for a seventeen-year-old?" Her smile disappeared and her face got serious again. "Have you read Wail Karren's book called 'In Ruins'?" The girl blinked and slowly shook her head. "No? Then that explains why you lack so much."

Every one started murmuring. "It's happening. She's at it again, insulting us." The boy in front of Heather's desk said.

"Did you know that controlling wind can change the room's temperature? You can make it hot or cold in here if you really master this skill, according to Wail. Wind can also bring you to the sky and further if you knew how to control it." Heather smiled to herself. I knew it. "Like I said, 'humiliation'."

The girl had no choice but to return to her seat in shame. Eva went to the center and looked at her students' faces. "Is she gonna handpick us again?" The same person in front of Heather quietly said to his seatmate. Heather looked down and hoped she won't be noticed.

"You, girl. Curly, brunette at the back?" Heather's heartbeat raced. She's both brunette and curly and she's at the back but she pretended that she didn't hear anything, still hoping she wasn't noticed. "Do I need to repeat myself?" Heather quickly lifted her head to face their teacher. She widened her eyes and pointed at herself. "Yes, you. What's your skill?"

If she can just disappear, she would've done it three seconds ago. This is what she feared, someone asking about her non-existing powers. "I uh..." Everyone's eyes were on her. She gulped and looked at Eva. "I still don't know yet. It hasn't come out." Eva furrowed her brows at Heather's answer. She looked at the latter's nametag then at her face.

"Heather Kim." She said. "I have no time for foolish answers. What's your skill?" Heather looked around her and found her classmates whispering to each other. Flake was also looking at them as if he's waiting for his proof that Heather really is human.

"I'm being honest. I came here to find out what it is." She tried her best to sound convincing and looks like it worked.

"Another case of skill delays..." Eva said and walked towards Heather's seat. "This happened once, more than twenty years ago. We were in the same class and she was so stubborn back then. She came to Stone Academia without knowing anything and believed she had no powers and that she's human. This creature had no idea how powerful she was until her powers broke free. Does anyone else knows about this story?" 

"It's Parailla's queen's past," Maya answered. "Everyone knows this story, Ms. Eva."

"Precisely. Do you understand what this means, Heather?" Heather nodded and supported her lie without knowing what the story really meant. "You may have no idea now but when the time comes, you'll be surprised with how powerful you can be." She moved closer and whispered behind Heather's ear. "I heard your thoughts about your classmate's skill. No one else thought of it but you. I see potential in you, Heather. Don't waste it."

--

Update!!🤍 Was I earlier than usual?😅 I really hope so. Here's another backstory from Hidden! Since I mentioned that you guys don't have to read Hidden to understand this book, I'll give several flashbacks of what happened in the past, the important ones, so there will be no confusion happening🥰

I hope you liked the chapter!!🧡 See you again next time✨