⚔Chapter 31: Sunset at six

A U T H O R

While they were on their way to the town, Firo spotted a book close to their seat. He carefully reached out for in without waking Heather. "Why did she have to sit here of all places?" He mumbled to himself. He grabbed the book and leaned comfortably on his seat again.

Heather is still laying her head on his shoulder. Firo had his arm inches away from her, afraid of intimacy, but at the same time, he didn't want her to fall from her seat or bump into the window. He just wanted to catch her if something happens.

And speaking of which, the train forced a stop, causing everyone to lean forward. He quickly held her shoulder and pulled her back. With his brows furrowed he stretched his head up to see what's happening in the front. A group of magfiers entered and occupied the rest of the cabins. "What are they doing here?" One of them suddenly came to their cabin and gestured them to open the door. Firo was terrified. They can't find out about Heather.

"Move away. That seat's taken." Flake came and told the magfier to leave. The latter spared one last look at Firo and Heather before leaving. Flake knocked on the door and waited for Firo to open it. "We have to talk." He said.

Firo sighed and placed the book on his lap. "What does he want this time?" He opened the door with one hand and let Flake in. "I'm grateful for what you did but you can't ask for anything big in return."

"How did she get in?" Flake straightforwardly asked. "The portals are closed."

"She's not human-"

"Let's not kid ourselves, Kang. You need to tell me so I know what I'm dealing with. I won't do anything to her." Firo worriedly looked at Heather. "How did she get in and why is she here in the first place?"

"Don't test my patience, Kim. Mind your own business." Flake sighed in defeat and left their cabin. Firo took the book he found again and started reading.

Flake, who was on his way back to his cabin, stopped and turned around. "And I can't even read his thoughts." He told himself and continued walking.

Minutes went by and they finally arrived in Magus's Town. Firo woke Heather up and when she did, he stood up and waited for her outside the door. "Why did it have to take so long?" She asked and left the cabin. Firo closed the door and led the way. "Tss... And he's ignoring me now?" She followed after him and went off the train.

Magus's Town welcomed them with blue lights and the smell of delicious gourmet. Firo went straight to Paraillan's favorite dessert house-- Kwan's Pancake House. Heather wowed in her head after smelling the scent of hot pancakes.

"Firo?" The girl behind the wooden counter called and waved her hand. "You came again...but with someone?" She asked, confused.

"Heather, this is Wendy. She's the owner's youngest daughter." Heather looked at her and felt something fishy in an instant.

"Hello. I'm quite pleased to meet you." Heather said and smiled.

"Hi, Heather. It's surprising to see you with him because Firo rarely hangs out with girls. If Chase didn't have Maya on their band, he won't have the slightest chance to talk to a girl." Heather furrowed her brows. So they know each other for a long time? She thought.

"Enough talking and just give us your best-sellers. We'll sit at the corner." Firo said with a smile at the end. Heather narrowed her eyes and watched him walk to the said seat.

"Is it just me or..." She stopped and went to sit across Firo. "How long have you known each other? Since last year? Since you were kids?" She started asking out of pure curiosity, again. "Why do you speak so kindly to her and why does she know about you not hanging around with girls?"