Chapter 8

"You can leave now, Miss Mark." Hames said with a dismissive wave of his hand. 

I glanced at my wristwatch and it was three hours past my closing hour, if I even had one. "Thank you so much, Mr Hendrix, for releasing me at such an early hour of the day." I said sarcastically with a fake smile. 

He raised his head from his laptop, leaned back in his chair and intertwined his fingers. "Oh, really?" He scoffed. "Why don't you wait till it's not so early and do some more work."

My eyes widened at that. I wore a grin at him, shaking my head. "No, thank you. I'll be leaving now." I nodded then turned around and took my leave. A frown returned on my face as I shut the door. "Stupid man." I hissed. 

A young man beside me who I hadn't noticed his presence until now chuckled at me. I flinched at the notice of his presence. "Hi," I waved awkwardly, walking away. 

"We all know he's terrible." He said behind me but I ignored him and continued walking away. 

I got into the elevator and to the ground floor. 

"Is Mr. Hendrix leaving anytime soon?" Sarah asked, lifting her eyebrows sadly. 

"Why'd I know?" I replied grouchily with a snort and signed out. "Goodnight and good luck on waiting for him till he's done." I smirked.

"You're silly." She rolled her eyes. Her deep voice was kinda scary-sounding. 

I left the company and strolled to the nearest bus stop to get into a bus. 

I took a quick nap till the bus was a few bus stops away from my destination. It stopped at my destination then I got out of it. 

After walking for ten minutes, I finally arrived home. As quick as I could, I got into the bathroom for a nice shower. I brushed my teeth, did my night routine then changed into a short dress that ended a few inches below my butt. Finally… comfort in my clothes.

I rushed to the kitchen and ate from the remnant of cookies obviously baked and eaten by Nikita. I saw a note on the fridge. 

'Hi, babe. I won't be coming home tonight because I wanna have fun and chill. You can eat some of my leftover cookies. *Giggles* Whatever, bye love.'

Her note read. 

With a small smile playing on my lips, I kept it in the box with old notes. 

I arranged my outfit for tomorrow into a small bag, took my office bag as well as important files and things I needed.

I took a cab and headed to Lila's house. Gosh… I missed her already. 

***

"Wow… you're suffering." Lila shook her head at me in pity, still roaming her eyes around the novel she was reading. 

"Are you even listening to me?" I snapped.

She raised her head from the novel. "Of course, why not?"

"As far as I remember, you've been reading that damn novel since I've been talking to you. What do people enjoy in reading words?"

"Because it's awesome."

"How? You can rather watch a movie than read books." I slapped the book out of her hand. 

"This book… 'The Badboy's Pre-planned Future Bride' by 'Gift Odulesi', it's awesome. You really should read her books. Some people prefer reading books than watching movies." She rolled her eyes and picked the book from the floor.