Chapter 35

~ IMOGEN ~

"Get married to you?" I frowned. "How on Earth is that possible?"

"It is possible because it'll happen. Forty Million dollars isn't such a small amount of money but for you, I'll give everything I have. You caused the fire, I'll repay it, then you'll get married to me."

"The fire wasn't absolutely my fault. The stupid man had candles everywhere. Why would there be candles in an office?"

"And how did the candles start the fire? On their own?" He raised an eyebrow with another smirk tempting to appear on his lips. 

"Of course not. I wanted to view the fireworks and shifted the curtains. I didn't know it was going to touch the fire from the candle. If the candle wasn't there, it wouldn't have happened."

He laughed. "If you hadn't viewed the fireworks, it wouldn't have happened."

"So it's my fault?"

"Yeah, definitely. Whether or not it was accidental, you caused it and it spread throughout the entire building. Mr. Hawthorn would have one of the best lawyers to deal with this if it leads to a court case. Rather than leading to more troubles for you, I'll repay the debt, and you'll be my wife." He curled an arm around my waist. 

I glowered at him. "You're literally forcing me to get married to you. Aren't you supposed to try to make me love you first? It'll be a one-sided relationship. I might have feelings for you if you prove yourself worthy enough." I shrugged. 

"No, thank you. I'm determined to have you. You can fall in love with me after marriage but I want to be certain that you're absolutely mine, no fear, nothing. I'll prove myself worthy enough for your love after marriage. That makes sense." 

"It's crazy." I wiggled out of his grip and sat on the bed.

"It's not, else you'll sort out the forty Million dollars on your own. I can call Mr. Hawthorn now to let him know I'll no longer pay it." He reached for his phone in his sweatpants pocket and turned it on. 

I stared at his phone's screen in awe. Was he really going to call him?

He clicked on Mr. John Hawthorn in his contact list and called him. 

My heart began to race in fear but I couldn't seem to stop him. I knew I wasn't going to have 40 Million dollars to repay the idiot Hawthorn, but I couldn't get married to Hames either. The only way out was going to be if I met a Billionaire today, who's madly in love with me, fall in love with him and he'll be willing to settle my debts. Oh wait, that was going to be Hames, that was Hames!

"Hello, Mr. Hawthorn." He placed the phone on his ear, making my heart throb faster till it burst out of my ribcage. "Yes, it's me again. I don't think I'll be able to settle the debt for my girlfriend," girlfriend? "So I'll give you her home address, you should discuss with her."

I held his arm, pleading with my eyes that he shouldn't do it. 

He glanced at me. "Not a problem, it's just a misunderstanding." I shook my head at him. "I really don't know how she'll do it but I'm no longer interested."

"Hames!" I exclaimed. 

"Hang on, Mr. Hawthorn, I think there's a change of mind here," he said and put the phone away. "What's wrong, sweetheart? Do you have something to say?"

"Please stop it."

"Are you ready to accept my condition?" He simpered. 

I really felt like crying right now. I was so confused. How could I marry someone I didn't love yet? "You won't give me the chance to fall in love with you first before making a decision?"