Chapter 22

Hames just happened to be one of the weirdest people I had ever known. He still hadn't said anything about kissing me but instead apologized for everything he was. That was the weirdest encounter of my life. 

I raised my head from the files in my hands, glancing at him in perplexity. 

"Mr. Hendrix," I called. 

"Hames." 

"Uh?" I quirked an eyebrow at him.

He set his laptop aside, folding his arms across his chest, making it seem like he was showing off his strong biceps. 

"It's Hames. You should call me Hames, I prefer it." Dammit! It was confirmed; the world was coming to an end right this instant!

"Hames? You were so furious when I called you that on my first day."

"I know. You were so rude on your first day and I needed to let you know I'm your boss. I assume you understand that now so please call me Hames."

I gazed at him in befuddlement for a while. What had seriously gotten into this man? He apologized this morning, now he was saying I could call him Hames? What was going to happen next? He'd give his company out to me?

"Hames," I nodded. "Hames, not Mr. Hendrix."

"Yes." He said with a 2-second smile I had almost missed seeing. Something was definitely wrong today. Very fishy. "When did you schedule our meeting with Mr. Carter?" He asked. 

"Mr. Carter," I picked my laptop from beside me, checked for his work schedule for today. "That should be in the next two hours and fifteen minutes."

"Two hours and fifteen minutes?!" He exclaimed. "Why does time fly so fast?"

"I don't know," I shrugged, not understanding how that was surprising to know. It was totally normal to me.

"Why are you still here? Don't ladies spend about an entire day dressing and all? Hurry up, we shouldn't be late for any reason." 

An entire day? Men and their exaggerative thoughts about ladies. Anyway, it meant I could take a break from this damn endless work I was almost hating.  

"Yes, we do. I should leave these now to get dressed and do my makeup." I smiled sheepishly at him, setting my laptop aside, as well as the files, standing up from the settee and picked my phone from the center table.

I left for my room, feeling his light brown eyes fixed on me. 

I shut the door to my room, dropped my phone on the vanity table, hurried to the bathroom, took a quick shower, returned to my room. After drying my body with a towel, I got into a peach shirt and a royal blue pencil skirt. I styled my hair and applied makeup on my face. 

My phone rang from the vanity table. I picked it up and a smile appeared on my face, realizing it was Lila calling. 

"Hi, Li." I grinned. 

"Sup babe. You totally forgot about me?"

"Nah, I've been too busy with work.' 

"You could've called."

"You could've called too."

"Well, I'm calling now. I've also been extremely busy but I'm calling you right now so you're at fault here."

I let out a throaty laughter. "You're dumb. Whatever, how're you?"

"I'm cool. How are you? How's your grumpy boss?"