Chapter 2- Night Time Sunday, April 13, 2014

Later that night, Melly came over and we decided to go to my backyard and lay on the hammock.

She lays her head on my chest as I run my fingers through her silky, straight, dark brown hair.

We were in a comfortable silence, when I had to break it.

"Melly." I said.

"Hmm?" She responded.

"What are you hiding from me?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"Well, you've been getting sick lately and you know I was concerned about you, because of that. Yet you go to John before telling me. Melly, please tell me what's going on?" I asked.

"Derek," She started, "There is something that I should tell you. But I am still in the process of endeavoring the information myself. I promise I will tell you when the time is right."

"So if that's the case then, why did you go to John instead of me?" I said.

"Because this is really big news. This news is much easier to tell your brother than you. Sorry." Melly said, "But I promise if you could give some time to process this information myself, I will tell you soon."

I gave a defeated sigh. I guess I'm not getting any information tonight. I trust that when she's ready, she'll tell me.

"Okay, babe." I said, continuing to stroke her hair. "Can you at least tell me you're going to be okay?"

"I promise I'm going to be okay." Melly said. I heard murmured, "Eventually."

I decided not to say anything about it, just to not cause anything. We just laid there in complete silence, breathing in the air of the beautiful night.

Suddenly, Melly started coughing. She jumped up and started running towards the house. I followed her as she ran into the bathroom, closing the door behind her. I winced once I heard her vomiting. That's gotta be hell for her.

"Honey, are you okay?" I said.

"Of course not, Derek. She's puking her guts out, because somebody didn't want to pull out." My conscious told me.

"Oh, it's YOU again. Leave me alone." I mentally told it.

"I won't leave until, she admits that she's pregnant ." It said.

"She's not pregnant. Now leave me alone." I said.

"Why else would she be puking?" It said.

"You know what," I said, out loud.

I heard a flush and the door swung open to see Melly's face.

"Who are you talking to?" She asked.

"No one." I said, "Are you okay?"

I extend my arms out for Melly to walk into. She wrapped her arms around my waist and hid her face in my chest.

"I don't know." Melly said. I felt my heart stop as she sniffed. Sounds as if she were crying. It pains me to see her like this.

I stroke her hair and rocked her. "Hey, I really don't know what's going on, but I know that everything is going to be okay. It has to be."

"Thanks." She said, sniffing again. "I really needed that."

I pulled back with my hands on her face and wiped her tears. "I love you." I said.

"I love you too." She said.

I leaned in to kiss her. She kissed back, making me smile.

I pulled back and said, "Why don't we go back outside? Fresh air will do you good."

She nodded her head, put her hand in my hand, and tug me to go outside with her. We climbed onto the hammock and we returned to our original position, before Mel's episode.

"Derek?" Melly said.

"Yes, doll?" I said.

"Can you sing to me?" She asked.

I looked down at her and asked, "What would you want me to sing?"

"Anything. It doesn't matter to me." She said.

"Okay." I said. Then I started to sing an acapella version of "Forever" by The Beach Boys.

It's been one of my favorite songs of theirs ever since I was little boy watching, Full House, with Melina. It describe my feelings for her in every way a song can. It's just so special to me, you know?

"How was that?" I asked, after singing the last line.

I looked at her to find her asleep. I smiled at the peaceful look on her face as her chest moves up and down. I kissed her head.

"I love you, Melly." I said, before going to sleep myself.