Chapter 51- Job Offer Saturday, June 13, 2015

I pushed the shopping cart as I walked through Stop n' Shop, putting a packet of chicken nuggets inside the basket behind Danny. Not for him, of course. For me and Mel to enjoy when I get home tonight. Don't judge.

"Don't eat that." I told him, grabbing the unpurchased apple from entering his mouth and placing it with a teething ring that he happily nibbled on.

I kissed him on his forehead as I continued to walk down the aisle. I got a few more food into the cart before moving us to the cash register. Once I finished pay, I strolled out of the supermarket and onto the road, approaching my car that's bathing in California's strong sunlight. I opened the trunk to put the grocery in with Danny passing me the lighter object to me.

"Thanks for being a great help, Daniel." I praised my son as I rubbed the black tuff on his head. He smiled at me as he continue to hand me more stuff. "No, Danny. Don't get the eggs."

He didn't listen. I closed my eyes in annoyance as I heard the carton of eggs fall to the ground.

Danny started crying, most likely thinking that I will yell at him for doing something bad. Instead, I scratched his hair before picking him up and rubbing his back in comfort.

"Hey, it's okay, bud. Don't cry. They're just eggs." I whispered in his ear as he continued to cry. I shushed him and rocked him in my arms until he settled down. I pulled him and smile at him. "There, see? It's not that bad."

He laughed and poked my nose. I kissed his forehead before I cautiously opened the back door to put him in the backseat. After I buckled him up, I closed the door, moved the cart to the side, before rushing over to my side of the car, turning on the engine and the air conditioner.

"Are you alright back there?" I asked my son, knowing that he is just developing his form of speech at the moment. He cooed to what I assumed to be a 'ya'. "Alright."

I was about to get us out of the parking lot, when my phone rang. I checked the caller ID to see that it's my cousin, Sally.

"Hello." I said, when I answered to the phone.

"Hey Derek." Her voice rang through the phone.

"What's up, Sally?" I asked, sitting in the parking lot with my son, because I'm not the kind to use my phone while driving.

"Nothing much. I'm actually at work in as we speak." She said.

"So why are you calling me?" I asked, confused.

"Because I have a proposition for you. I spoke to my manager about you and he said that he would love to meet you."

"Really? Your publishing agency manager from New York wants to meet me?" I asked, making sure I heard her clear.

I'm not too sure about this. I mean this would require me to actually travel across the nation, just so that I could have a talk with a manager that I don't move too much about. I know I should care, since I need a job, but why this one?

"Uh huh. He thinks that you would work out well in the information technology department." Sally said, sipping her some kind of drink through the phone.

"Information technology? You know I don't know shit about that, right? Nor do I have a degree in that." I told her, hoping that she's using her brain here.

"I know, but don't worry too much about it, since you would probably be an intern like me. Just be happy that I got you a new job, cousin." She said.

I sighed, knowing that she feels really proud of herself for doing something nice. I doubt this would work well, but I acted like a good sport and agreed.

"Eeep, great! Your interview is on Monday, June 14. You won't regret it." She said.

"Thanks Sally." I said, hanging up on her and sighed.

I put my phone away before I switched my gear from park to drive and drove us out of here.

I'm not totally thrilled since I know how this will go, but I will never truly know unless I try it, right?

I know that this chapter isn't too entertaining, but it is needed. This will all make sense in the final chapter of this story and the sequel. Until then, have a nice day and happy holidays! :) 1 chapter down, eight to go.

XOXO,
M.