Chapter 30- Melly's Birthday Friday, December 19, 2014

It is December 19, 2014; Melly's seventeenth birthday. However, the month and date means much more to us than just any old birthday; it's our seventeenth anniversary. Seventeen years since we've met and became each other's first friend. Seventeen years since we grew to love each other. Fourteen years since we had our first kiss. Fourteen years since I gave her that ring on her left finger with a 'D' on it, because I was convinced that one day I was going to marry her. While that one may not happen right now, it wouldn't hurt to ask so we can be husband and wife sooner or later, right? This date probably means much more to me than her.

I was at Sacramento's park by the white gazebo, rehearsing with my friends of the concert birthday party that I am about to throw Melly tonight. I had to be here to make sure everything is perfect for my baby girl. I was going to do it in the backyard, but I don't want to be as obvious as Melly was with my party; I wanted it to be special. And to beat her at our surprise party tradition. Plus, we all did our best to make everything as clean as possible for when the baby arrives and I don't want to ruin it. Our backyard is too small for this concert anyway.

"Alright, let's take a break." I said as we finished our last song and put my electric guitar to the side. I looked at my friends and asked as I hopped off the gazebo, "What time is it?"

"One in the afternoon." Mike replied.

Oh shit, I need to go somewhere before the party starts. I have too many errands to attend to today and I have a lot people coming in to bring stuff later this afternoon. I also can't just leave my friends here alone. They need me here. I rubbed my temple to think of something. Anything will do right now.

"Derek," I heard Amy said behind me. I looked up at her face full of concern. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, nothing. I need somewhere to be right now, but I don't know if I can do it. I can't leave you guys here with the stuff." I told her.

"Dude, we'll be fine. Do whatever you need to do. We can take care of it."Amy said, giving me a reassuring smile.

"Really?" I asked, my voice sounding hopeful.

Amy nodded. I couldn't help but pull her into a tight hug, feeling relieved. I do feel a pang of guilt in the pit of my stomach about leaving them to take care of my responsibilities, but there's nothing better than having friends willing to help you out.

"Thank you! You guys are the best! Okay, so the carters are going to be here around three pm to drop off food. I'll be back around four to check things out. We can have our last rehearsal then. The guest should be here around five o'clock and Melly should be here by five-thirty..." I was going to continue to ramble, when Amy cut me off.

"Dude, chill. Everything will be just fine. I know Melly will love it." Jack said from afar. I turn my gaze towards him and raised an eyebrow.

"You sure about that, Nelson?" I asked, my voice sounding higher than usual.

"Derek, please. If I were Melly, there would be no way I would say 'no' after you did all of this to me. Of course, I would like things to be a little more anime, but knowing her style, this is more than good enough." Amy told me, easing my nerves.

"Thanks guys. You're the best." I said with a genuine smile on my face.

"We know. Now go do whatever you need to go." Mike said.

I thanked my friends again, before I ran off to my car. Once I got inside, I immediately buckled up and turned on the ignition. I backed out of my parking space and drove to my first stop.

{_}

I parked near a KFC and walked across the street to a ring shop. The sound of a bell rung as I stepped into the little building.